E-mail: cannot send

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
I have MSN e-mail, and have had for years. It works fine on all my computers, both sending and receiving.

My problem: I can receive e-mails on my 4s just fine, but I cannot send them. When I try to send, it says:

Cannot Send Mail
The user name or password for "STMP:xxxxxx@msn.com@stmp.live.com" is incorrect.

I have no idea what 'STMP' or 'stmp.live.com' means. I have tried re-entering my password several times; done a hard reset. uninstalled and reinstalled the account. Nothing has worked; always the same message.

I have tried MSN tech support. After almost an hour of automated tecniques without success it connected me to the agent que. After listening to Hindu music on hold for 30 minutes I gave up, hoping someone here can help me.

I have had this same problem with my MSN e-mail account every time I have gotten a new iPhone; but can't remember how it was resolved. My Yahoo e-mail account works fine, so it's an MSN issue.

Any ideas what the problem is?

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
Ouch... if this awesome group doesn't have an answer for this, maybe there is no answer:cry: At least not without a looong call to someone who speaks almost no English at inept MSN tech:(

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
Followed directions on the Support page, and now it's crazier! I now get e-mails twice!:mad: I now show my MSN account and have one that says 'hotmail'.

What exactly is 'Hotmail' and why do I now have that? I've heard of it but was never sure. And, what does 'STMP' mean? Google says it's Stamps.com.

Just spent another half hour trying to talk to tech support- waited on hold, got cut off, called back, worked through the menus, got sent to the agents and promptly disconnected. GRRRR!

All I want to do is get my damn email working! Yes, I can use my other e-mail, but it's a huge project to change everything from my msn account or I would. There's not a damn thing wrong with the phone or anything else, it's just msn. Unbelievably irritating

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
The SMTP server should be: smtp.email.msn.com

However, I would delete the account altogether and reinstall it. It should all be configured automatically. Did you add it to you phone by using the Hotmail configuration?

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
Thanks; I did delete and reinstall it, twice. Including having to manually delete the 300 mor eso saved e-mails in my account, 30 or so at a time. Again. Didn't fix it.

I have no idea how I added it each time. Like always, when I got the new phone I synced it, and this time it's messed up. Still have no idea what the difference is between stmp and hotmail, or what they really mean in my life.

I'm sure the smart people know this stuff by heart and roll their eyes at dumb questions, but I'm not smart. I guess now my main focus will be NOT throwing the phone across the room:)

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Still have no idea what the difference is between stmp and hotmail, or what they really mean in my life.
RoofMonkey explained SMTP - it is essentially the outgoing mail server. Hotmail, like msn, is a Microsoft mail system. You can have either xx@msn.com, xx@hotmail.com or xx@live.com. When setting up the new account did you select the Hotmail Option on the iPhone when you were prompted to set up a new account?

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
I really don't know about the first time. The second, added acount today I think I did select hotmail.

The first one says something about pop3.live too, whatever that is.

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
I think that's the same page I mentioned in post #4
Bams gonna look at that and think, 'man that looks familiar' LOL
LOL! I see what you mean:)

Next step is to enlist the aid of my college son who unlike his pops IS smart:) I'll let you know how that pans out.

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
Fixed!

Brilliant son correctedit in about 10 minutes. As best as I can understand, he redid my password and consolidated them or something. Not completely sure, but thank goodness he takes after his Momma:rolleyes:

Thanks again for your attempts to help. I guess the real answer is to yank the boy home from school to save his decrepit ol dad:p