E-mail deficiencies?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I hear a lot of people say that for "hardcare blackberry fans" the iPhone wouldn't be a good choice.

I'm not at all disagreeing, just tell me why. E-mail was one of the most important functions to me, and on my phone it's working... but my solutions to problems haven't been the best (using AT&T's outgoing mail server, or relaying off a third server I have authentication for).

I know there's no real exchange support, and maybe that's the problem... is that it? What other issues have people had?

One of the issues I've with sending mail is that, for the life of me, I cannot send mail through my own IMAP server. There's no reason it should fail... everything is set up right, I'm using port 587 correctly, login is correct -- but what I've discovered in the process is that it's not isolated to the iPhone... it it true of Mail.app on my Mac as well, on ALL my macs matter-of-fact. I've been working with Apple support and my email server host for a week now to figure out what the problem is. Outlook Express and Thunderbird send FINE... it's just Mail.app.

Are others running into similar? Part of why I'm asking is because Apple has made me feel like I'm the ONLY one with this problem... but I have to wonder... and considering the iPhone uses a mini version of Mail.app I'd be curious to know if this is something others have run into... AND lump into the "email problems" of the iPhone.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
You getting a login failure or is the IMAP server just not responding?
Neither - LOL - what we can tell from packet sniffing and server logs is that the two servers connect - initial handshake - and then disconnect... but we cannot tell why. It seems to be failing prior to login, whereas Thunderbird and Outlook Express both connect, login and send mail just fine.

Trust me, we've been through all the standard "debugging" on this... I've not only tried on 3 different mac plus my iPhone, but even had a guy from the Apple discussion forums try on his Mac -- he had the same results. In Mail.app it would fail, in any other client, it succeeded and sent mail fine.

sjm

Oct 4, 2007
Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

I hear a lot of people say that for "hardcare blackberry fans" the iPhone wouldn't be a good choice.

I'm not at all disagreeing, just tell me why. E-mail was one of the most important functions to me, and on my phone it's working... but my solutions to problems haven't been the best (using AT&T's outgoing mail server, or relaying off a third server I have authentication for).

I know there's no real exchange support, and maybe that's the problem... is that it? What other issues have people had?

One of the issues I've with sending mail is that, for the life of me, I cannot send mail through my own IMAP server. There's no reason it should fail... everything is set up right, I'm using port 587 correctly, login is correct -- but what I've discovered in the process is that it's not isolated to the iPhone... it it true of Mail.app on my Mac as well, on ALL my macs matter-of-fact. I've been working with Apple support and my email server host for a week now to figure out what the problem is. Outlook Express and Thunderbird send FINE... it's just Mail.app.

Are others running into similar? Part of why I'm asking is because Apple has made me feel like I'm the ONLY one with this problem... but I have to wonder... and considering the iPhone uses a mini version of Mail.app I'd be curious to know if this is something others have run into... AND lump into the "email problems" of the iPhone.
Just thought I'd pass along our experience with Mail and Exchange. We are running Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 on an outside server. A few of us are using iPhones and the Apple Mail app with success. I moved from a Motorola Q/Entourage combination and find that the iPhone is functioning just as well in an exchange environment. Please note however, that the iPhone would only function in IMAP mode until we switched from the 2003 to 2007 server.