E-mail questions: folders, filters, rules

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Grotius

Jul 1, 2007
I'm loving the iPhone! Some questions about e-mail, though.

1. Is it possible to create my own e-mail folders to hold stuff? The iPhone generates an Inbox, Sent and Trash folders for my POP3 (Compuserve) account, but I don't seem to be able to make a custom folder.

2. Is there a spam filter?

3. Is there a way to set "rules" to direct e-mail from a particular source to a particular folder for later viewing? I get 30-40 e-mails a day from one particular source, and I'd rather look at it all later.

4. I gather there's no way to delete e-mails en masse?

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com

1. Is it possible to create my own e-mail folders to hold stuff? The iPhone generates an Inbox, Sent and Trash folders for my POP3 (Compuserve) account, but I don't seem to be able to make a custom folder.

3. Is there a way to set "rules" to direct e-mail from a particular source to a particular folder for later viewing? I get 30-40 e-mails a day from one particular source, and I'd rather look at it all later.

I'm wondering the same things - especially about the folders...?

Anyone any idea how the additional folders are generated?

I see them in a screen shot in the iPhone manual pdf, but I can't see any description on how they are generated! :mad:

Grotius

Jul 1, 2007
Exactly, I see extra folders in the manual, folders that appear to be personalized. But I can't create them myself! Perhaps the only way to make personal folders is to import your settings from other programs (like Outlook)? I hope that's not the case, because I want to use other, simpler arrangements on my iPhone.

pb30

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Minnesota
1. I don't know of a way to do it with POP, but with IMAP you can create the folders on the server and they will sync to the iPhone
2. No, just on the email providers side (ex gmail/yahoo)
3. No, it might be possible with IMAP, but I'm not sure
4. No

clayewi

Jul 7, 2007
Outlook folders

I have a similar question - when iPhone retrieves my email it only gets the emails that go to the main "inbox" folder of outlook. The trouble is I have many rules within Outlook that filter mail into sub-folders. Is there any way to get iPhone to see those folders?

pb30

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Minnesota
I have a similar question - when iPhone retrieves my email it only gets the emails that go to the main "inbox" folder of outlook. The trouble is I have many rules within Outlook that filter mail into sub-folders. Is there any way to get iPhone to see those folders?
Only if you are using IMAP. If you are using POP the mail is just moved on your local machine, not the email server that the iPhone is looking at.

clayewi

Jul 7, 2007
Only if you are using IMAP. If you are using POP the mail is just moved on your local machine, not the email server that the iPhone is looking at.
I'm not talking about sync here - I mean when my iPhone gets mail from the server it only seems to get the main inbox and not mail that is routed to subfolders of the inbox

Maybe I should mention that this is from an exchange server

What exactly is IMAP ?

Jul 1, 2007
No folders unless you're IMAP or on a mac

I was at the Apple store with a genius and he had all these folders on his iPhone from his Gmail account. When I asked him how he got them, he said you had to set it on the Gmail site and it would then link them to your phone. Well, I sorted all mine into the "labels" thing that Gmail does instead of folders but nothing still showed on the phone.

I too saw the folder display on page 46 of the online manual. I KNEW it COULD work since I had actual seen it on the genius's phone. Today I called iPhone tech support and that guy said if you have a Mac it will do it through their mail but otherwise only though IMAP accounts. This explains why the Apple genius had it on his phone. There is a tech bulletin on the Gmail site which says they are working on improving the iPhone linkage features so I guess this refers tto the "label/folder" issue.

Apr 30, 2008
I see this is a belated answer, but here goes:

If you're on a Mac, you may need to have an IMAP account, but my iSync creates folders on the iPhone for every folder I have in Apple Mail. You also have to have the folders in the respective email account sections in the sidebar of Mail for them to show up on the phone. My wife's folders didn't show up on her phone because she had created them in the "On My Mac" section in Mail. Once she copied them to the email account section, and once she "Reset Network Settings" in Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings, then her folders showed up.

No. Best thing is to use the spam filters with your provider.

If you're on a Mac you can use rules in Mail and then your iPhone mail will be synced appropriately with mail messages in their respective folders.

Again, do your deleting on the Mac and then sync.