Ear buds while driving?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Not sure but definitely not the greatest idea in the world. Kinda dangerous since you can't hear anything. :D

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
It is illegal to wear both headphones. So just only keep one of those annoying buds in your ear and podcast away. But please pay attention to the road.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
I can confirm that it is at least illegal in California and Texas to wear both ear buds at once.

That may be the law in all 50 states, but I can tell you, for sure, that that's the case in CA and TX.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I can confirm that it is at least illegal in California and Texas to wear both ear buds at once.

That may be the law in all 50 states, but I can tell you, for sure, that that's the case in CA and TX.
I agree with CA but do you have a cite for TX? I ride a lot and usually check with the AMA database about state laws in the places where I'll be riding. While not always the same, usually the rules for motorcycle helmet speakers are the same as for headphones while driving. According to AMA helmet speakers in TX have no restriction:
http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=TX

--
Mike

Romanesq

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Not just illegal

But in this day and age of cassette adaptors, bluetooth headsets, AUX, and who knows how many other adaptors, it's utterly plain stupid.

Not to mention dangerous. :mad:

Bannod

Bronze
Aug 11, 2007
At the beach, WA
I've not had any problems hearing outside noises. I can hear the wind noises from the window and also have to turn the radio way down. My ears are small and the buds don't seem to fit right. They just kind of sit there, so maybe that's why hear all the outside noises.

Thanks for the tip about bluetooth. It took me a moment to figure out how to turn it on for podcasts. Works great!

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
I agree with CA but do you have a cite for TX? I ride a lot and usually check with the AMA database about state laws in the places where I'll be riding. While not always the same, usually the rules for motorcycle helmet speakers are the same as for headphones while driving. According to AMA helmet speakers in TX have no restriction:
http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=TX

--
Mike
I don't have a site that confirms this, but I definitely remember it being illegal to wear both earbuds while driving a car when I lived there. They made a big deal about this in Driver's Ed class. Maybe this is one of those weird cases where it's different for motorcycles (I didn't ride motorcycles when I lived in TX).

P

phoneme

I don't know if it is legal but I say it is very dangerous and I would not encourage anyone to do it. Personally I don't use my ear buds while driving at all

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I don't have a site that confirms this, but I definitely remember it being illegal to wear both earbuds while driving a car when I lived there. They made a big deal about this in Driver's Ed class. Maybe this is one of those weird cases where it's different for motorcycles (I didn't ride motorcycles when I lived in TX).
That's all the confirmation I've ever heard: that someone heard it in Driver's Ed. No biggie but I've yet to see a definite cite regarding TX law.

My main concern is while riding anyway. I wear custom molded ear phones when I do. These allow me to not only listen to music (if I want) but they also cut down wind noise dramatically (very important, when riding).

While I wear a helmet, the dangling wires from the headphones make it kinda obvious I am wearing something in both ears. Never been pulled over for them though, even in CA. In a car though? Not so sure.

--
Mike

Coach Z

Bronze
Aug 3, 2007
I had a cdl for a short while so I did a LOOOOOT of driving, its my understanding that headphones are illegal in every state (using both that is)
my $0.02

PhatKid

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
If you don't know for sure, you're just better off not doing it. Or, if you do know, be like Dave Chappelle's friend and when you get pulled over say, "I'm sorry. I didn't know I couldn't do that."