earbud cord management question

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
How does everyone manage the cord for their earbuds (or headset)?

What do you do when you're not using it?

How do you run the cord when you're using it? Hanging free, inside your shirt or other?

What, if anything, annoys you about your earbud or headset cord?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I only ever use my earbuds when I'm going to or from campus or when I am on campus so I generally just wind the cord up into a little circle and shove it into one of my backpack pockets. When I'm using it the cord just runs from my pocket (where the iPhone is) up the outside of my shirt. I've never been one of the people to put it under my shirt and run the cord up to my ears.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I posted this because I sometimes, like all the Apple ads, just let it hang free. But when I do that it gets caught on things and the cord pulls the earbuds out of my ears. And, if I have to pull them out to talk to someone for a moment I have nowhere to put them. I'll tuck them in a pocket or in my shirt for a moment. But that seems inconvenient.

Other times I run the cord inside my shirt (robbing Apple of a few branding moments) so that it won't get caught on anything. That also has the benefit of letting me pull them out for a moment to talk to someone and just let the buds hang there until I'm ready for them again.

When I'm not using the earbuds I do like you do, I just wind them up and stuff them in my back pocket.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Hanging free outside my shirt. During the winter I wear the iPhone in the inside breast pocket of my jacket, but when it's warm it goes in my front pants pocket.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
The microphone always gets caught on things and pulls the buds out of my ears, really annoying! I usually used my headphones in the winter; although I hated dealing with the size of them my earbud cord would freeze and odd shapes and make things really awkward.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
The microphone in my opinion is poorly designed. It snags on everything! It is amazing that the phone is built with no corners or sharp edges (for the most part) yet the microphone bud on the wire is like a hook! I have the ear buds ripped from my ears any time I use the ear things and have the phone tucked away. If I have the phone out it tends to not snag...