Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
From Apple Insider:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ering_early_upgrade_pricing_on_iphone_3g.html

I saw this hinted earlier on Twitter. If you check your account, you will see that an additional upgrade option has been added. Before, it was not clear that iPhone owners would be eligible for a subsidized update.

Crystal clear now: yes, at the one year anniversary of activation of the old 3G phone.
The way I read it, the upgrade offer is for v1 iPhone owners to upgrade to the 3G...

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
But v1 owners never got the phone for a subsidized price, so they were always eligible for the upgrade discount.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
this is what i got in a nutshell: they're offloading 3g's like crazy.

the article says nothing about future upgrades; it's ONLY for those people wanting to purchase a 3G and are not eligible for a subsidized upgrade yet.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Check your accounts, guys: It shows up as a valid upgrade option:

Upgrade.jpg

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
nice, but that seems to be unrelated to the article you posted. At least how i understand it...

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
It also has the same date as your other upgrade options, where is the "early"?

I don't think they are going to allow for an early upgrade for the 4G (for lack of a better name), they are going to take trade ins.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I don't understand the confusion. My contract expires July 2010, two years from the date of my purchase of the 3G. Previously, AT&T was requiring that the full 2 years be completed before allowing an upgrade at a subsidized price. The second option is consistent with the article for letting existing iPhone customers get to upgrade in July 2009, 1 year before the contract expiration date.

Why should AT&T require a trade-in program to offset the unsubsidized price when I'll be eligible for the reduced price upgrade?

Is no one else seeing the second upgrade option on their accounts?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
nice, but that seems to be unrelated to the article you posted. At least how i understand it...
The article is unrelated to my point about the upgrade option appearing on the My Account section of the account. In fact, the article is no longer relevant since AT&T looks like they will be offering upgrades at the 12 month mark for iPhone owners.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I checked my upgrade options. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until 12/12/2009 which is 18 months after I got my iPhone, not a year.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I don't understand the confusion. My contract expires July 2010, two years from the date of my purchase of the 3G. Previously, AT&T was requiring that the full 2 years be completed before allowing an upgrade at a subsidized price. The second option is consistent with the article for letting existing iPhone customers get to upgrade in July 2009, 1 year before the contract expiration date.

Why should AT&T require a trade-in program to offset the unsubsidized price when I'll be eligible for the reduced price upgrade?

Is no one else seeing the second upgrade option on their accounts?
I have this:
You can take advantage of our full retail pricing option, with the exception of iPhone which requires a 2-year commitment. Additional discounts may be available on 07/12/2009
... Which is the normal upgrade thing, and then I have this:
This line is eligible for an early iPhone upgrade with reduced equipment pricing when signing a 2-year commitment. Click the 'How to Upgrade' link to view your upgrade options. This line may be eligible for an equipment discount for Early Upgrade to an iPhone on 07/12/2009.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
AT&T calls it "early eligibility" to get you excited enough to spend more money and sign a new 2-year contract before yours is up. It is standard to offer it 3/4 of the way through your contract, or at the 18-month mark.

Why you're seeing eligibility at 12 months is certainly beyond me, Larry, but I would be quiet about it if I were you.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
AT&T calls it "early eligibility" to get you excited enough to spend more money and sign a new 2-year contract before yours is up. It is standard to offer it 3/4 of the way through your contract, or at the 18-month mark.

Why you're seeing eligibility at 12 months is certainly beyond me, Larry, but I would be quiet about it if I were you.
AT&T has told me I receive it (and others) because my lines are over $100 each. I'm assuming it's the same case with Larry..

Just in case I'm not the ONLY one that is confused by "Early Upgrade" versus "Upgrade" pricing...

I went to Best Buy today on the way to work to pick up a 3G. (Yay!)

I got the last "refreshed" 8gig iPhone 3g that they had in the place.

The girl pulled up my account, got everything swapped and activated and handed me my new phone. While she had the account up on the screen I asked "So this will be $149 today, right?" She assured me "Yes, $149 plus tax and all, of course"

So with the new 3G in my pocket, I busted out the debit card to pay her.

"Ok, that will be $399 for the phone, plus the 60 bucks for case and stand"

It was then, that I found out that "Early Upgrade" pricing = $200 off.

Shortly thereafter, I handed her back the 3G, got my old phone out of the box, put the SIM card back in and said "No thanks!"

So on to plan "B" tomorrow. :)

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
The girl pulled up my account, got everything swapped and activated and handed me my new phone. While she had the account up on the screen I asked "So this will be $149 today, right?" She assured me "Yes, $149 plus tax and all, of course"

So with the new 3G in my pocket, I busted out the debit card to pay her.

"Ok, that will be $399 for the phone, plus the 60 bucks for case and stand" :)
Say what? Did you atleast thank her for wasting your time? :p