Early upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marcom, Jan 24, 2009.

1. marcom

marcom New Member

Need some objective assistance here, please, because I know there is a solution to this challenge but after trying to figure it out, I can't think straight! Here is the challenge!

1. Been with AT&T over 10 years
    2. Have 4 lines on family cellphone plan
    3. Want to upgrade 1 line to data
    4. Upgrade would be 1 month early
    5. AT&T says any smartphone eligible for early with equipment discount except iPhone
    6. We really think iPhone would serve our family needs best
    7. It appears all the other comparable (?) options are expensive too! (it appears 249 and up)
    8. Don't want to spend more than $199 for equipment; iPhone at $399 until 1 month after we really do need it
    9. AT&T says we can purchase phone elsewhere and they will apply data plan, but no place matches 199 AT&T pricing
    So - here is the question:

1. Is there any way to get around this iPhone deal where they will not discount equipment until "official" upgrade date, esp considering how long we've been customers and that we are talking ONE month early?

Priority would be to work around AT&T 1 month limitation, as the iPhone really appears to serve our needs.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

2. MrEous

MrEous Member
    Silver

Just wait the month instead of trying to work the system. The upgrade system is pretty straightforward.

3. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot
    Gold

The only way of getting around this would be to try and reason with a particular AT&T representative. I don't really see them giving you leeway though.

4. MR. HATTZ

MR. HATTZ New Member

I don't know but you might want to see if AT&T will let you get one of the refurbish iPhones! The iPhone 3g 8g is like $100 refurb. But again its only with a new contract or upgrade! But maybe they'll let you rock with that! Or just wait 1 month!

5. spyrwebs

spyrwebs Member
    Bronze

hmmm. I got mine two months early. I think thats earliest you are eligible. You can even check on the Att website to see if your eligible for equipment upgrade. Thats whats I did. Make sure your at a real Att store and not an "authorized dealer". Those guys are just full of excuses, they know nothing. Just try a different store.

6. mac29

mac29 Member
    Bronze

I read the article saying that AT&T was going to let the people who can upgrade in July or August purchase the phone now. Has anyone done this yet? when I go to Apple.com, it still shows that I would have to pay full price and that I can't upgrade till 7/31. The article also says that the people who paid full-price will receive a credit.

If I do order right now, when will expect to receive the phone considering the 19th is 2 days away?

7. john_T

john_T Member
    Silver

Not on Friday. Probably early next week.

8. flabyboy

flabyboy New Member

There is a thread on this subject in AT&T forum. Basically, you have to be in good standing, purchased the phone last summer and pay over $99 a month BEFORE taxes. If you don't meet all 3 of those criteria, you will NOT be able to upgrade at the cheapest price. Sucks don't it.

9. Joon

Joon New Member
    Bronze

I am sure if you check now, you will see that you are eligible for the early upgrade. They didn't update the accounts till around 2 a.m. central time. You posted this slightly before that time.

10. flabyboy

flabyboy New Member

If you don't pay more than $99 month before taxes, you won't be eligible.

11. Magicman4131

Magicman4131 Member
    Bronze

Hi guys I feel left out not having an iPhone and I'm not will to pay 400 to 500 dollars for one. My upgrade is at the end of October. Do you think AT&T will let me use my upgrade a few weeks before it ocuurs. I just can't wait that long but don't want to pay a bnch of Money. My parents said I could buy one only if I use an upgrade. Thanks in advance

12. RossMc

RossMc Zealot
    Gold

Well i know in the UK on all of the carriers they let you upgrade your contract a month before it ends

Not too sure about the US though it might be the same.

13. Magicman4131

Magicman4131 Member
    Bronze

Thanks hope it the same in the USA. Btw should I get white or black.

14. seanwes

seanwes Zealot
    Gold

AT&T is offering early upgrade prices right now to those whose contracts end in July, August, or September.

You can sell your iPhone on eBay and make most of that money. Not sure exactly what you have, but I'm seeing used 16GB 3G iPhones unlocked selling for $380 avg.

My vote is white, but that just comes down to personal preference. Some people could care less, others will go to a lot of trouble to get the color they want.

#14 seanwes, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  15. Magicman4131

Magicman4131 Member
    Bronze

Thanks but this is my first iPhone.

16. bass_lover1

bass_lover1 Member
    Bronze

My contract was supposed to run out in August, but I was eligible for an upgrade on May 18th. Which, if my calculations are correct you should be eligible for an early upgrade very soon. As far as I know, AT&T offers upgrade pricing to those who are within 3 months of the end of their contract, and you should be right around that time.

Sorry, maybe I read your post incorrectly. But is your contract up in October, or do you already know your upgrade eligibility date? If you already know it isn't until October, than there isn't anything you can do. AT&T was nice enough to offer extra early upgrades to the people that bought the 3G iPhone up to 3 months after its release date, and who spent over 100 a month on their bill on one line and before taxes. My guess is you would only qualify for one of those (since you don't have an iPhone), which means that it looks like you're going to have to wait until October.

17. Magicman4131

Magicman4131 Member
    Bronze

Well To be specific I'm using my moms upgrade that she dosnt want. It is on October 29. I don't have an iPhone. it will be my first one. I was just wondering if I had to upgrade on exactly October 29. or if I can upgrade like on October 10. Just wondering thanks for your reply though.

18. bass_lover1

bass_lover1 Member
    Bronze

They might let you upgrade a few days early, but I wouldn't count on it. Best bet is to talk to your local AT&T rep and see what they say.

19. azsprty

azsprty New Member

I'm kw there is a thread on this but had trouble searching on my phone. Anyhow I contcted AT&T to inquire about my account and the rep knew nothing about it. She then transferred me to accounts cs which they said the same thing as well as "it's all just rumors and people making stuff up". Sooooo guess I'm not getting the early upgrade which is probably the o oh way to afford it right now

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Not necessarily. Wait until the iPhone announcement. If it's going to be pushed up, it will be done by then. When did you buy your current iPhone?