Earphone jack iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Prozium12, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

Couldn't Apple do away with the earphone jack and have them plug it into the lightning dock connector port ,in fact couldn't all phones do this ok most Android phones still have the earphone port on the top of the phone but now that Apple have moved theres to the bottom couldn't this be done..

Sent using iCafe app

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Then you couldn't charge your phone and simultaneously listen to awesome music, like this song:

...Unless someone invents an adapter like this, but much smaller and more elegant (not my picture):

QKYPPVM1WHO1.jpg

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There's more to it than just losing the ability to charge while listening to music through headphones. The headphone jack is universal and works in all different types of devices. If they were to make Apple earpods fit in the Lightning charging port, they would have to redesign the earpod jack to look exactly like a Lightning connector. While it might be possible to engineer a charging port to work as an audio jack, it's a bad idea because we would lose compatibility with all different types of headphones and we would then be limited to Apple earpods and those earpods would work in nothing except the newest iDevices. That is until Apple comes out with a $29 Lightning to audio jack adaptor that we would have to carry with us. No thanks. It's not worth the small amount of space it would save.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. JON35Y

JON35Y Member
    Bronze

Shhhh, don't tell Apple that! You know they're gonna try and pull a stunt like that sooner or later. :)

5. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

They certainly can, in fact the technology is all ready present in the former 30 pin and current 8 pin lightning connector. It is the same technology that allows you to connect your phone to your car, various docks and speakers and play music. The question to me is, why would you want that? I like the ability to use the now universal 3.5mm jack and plug in third party headsets and earbuds or use a plain old 3.5mm cable and plug in to other audio peripherals and car connection kits. The last thing I want is for Apple to reinvent the wheel (again) and render all of my remaining accessories obsolete.

6. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

You could do this the other way around and just use the regular headphone jack for data transfer and audio like the old iPod nano, tho transfer speeds may be compromised.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I don't think you could charge the iPhone via the headphone jack.

8. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I'm not so sure about that, tho the iPhone battery is larger...

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Sounds like a lot of refitting for third-party headphone makers.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, you'd just need the $29 Apple Lightning to AUX adapter. ;)

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Buy another proprietary Apple adapter?!

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Right. Like I said, I think it's a bad idea. I was just saying if they did do it, Apple would probably make an adapter.