Earpiece on iPhone has stopped working.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
It's only 9 days old and it's already broken. The Earpiece speaker has died. No sound what-so-ever. Speaker phone however works. Keyboard clicks have stopped too - yes I checked the setting - they are turned on...

Apple told me I had to make an appointment with their genius bar which means I have to wait until Monday to talk to someone about it... :(

UPDATE (FIXED!): As ahduke99 and petalmom pointed out, if this happens to you, put the iPhone in ipod mode without headphones plugged in, play a song/podcast/etc, and then plug in your headphones. You may have to remove and plug back in the phones many times unil it starts working normally. It seems there is some software switch that doesn't get reset properly and the iPhone thinks your ear phones are plugged in when they aren't - hence the keyboard clicks disappear and the earpiece stops working.

I think my issue may have something to do with the fact that I use my iPhone with an Alpine car stereo (CDE-9857) - the phone warns me that this is an unsupported accessory, but still lets me play music through the car stereo sometimes... It may be that plugging my iPhone in to the Alpine may get the iPhones earpiece "switch" confused and leaves the iPhone in a state where the phone thinks ear phones are still attached...

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
plug in the headphones and then unplug them. i know it sounds crazy, but this same thing happened to me and after i plugged in the headphones and unplugged them, the earpiece started working again.
Well I really appreciate the suggestion, but it didn't work. What does happen however is that ipod starts playing music as soon as I plug the phones in...? It plays a song I have never listened to before...

So far I've tried a reset and a restore and neither of those worked either... Weird...

abohsali

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
It definitely sounds like a hardware defect and you should get it replaced since it is withing the 14 days exchange/refund period at the Apple Store. If you don't want to wait for your appointment on Monday you can always go to the Apple Store and go on standby at the genius bar. They will talk to you and check your phone if someone does not show up or if they have time between customers. I did that many times and I was offered service within 30 minutes. Just tell them your phone does not work and you are going out of town today:) It works.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
You may have to plug and unplug several times and it's best to do it while your using the iPod feature. It should clear the problem.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
You may have to plug and unplug several times and it's best to do it while your using the iPod feature. It should clear the problem.
yeah, that's what i was telling him. Apple DID replace that phone that was having the issue (i called in and they sent me a box BEFORE i fixed it). i sent it in anyway cause i wasn't sure why it did that, and they did send me a new one. maybe it is a defect, but it was working fine once i plugged in my headphones and unplugged em again.

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
petalmom, you are my new hero.:)

I plugged in a and removed the head phones about 5 times while in iPod mode and guess what - it started working again.... It seems the software switch that tells the iPhone weather or not phones are plugged in gets "out of sync" sometimes and the procedure above fixes this. Bravo, guys!

Lets hope this issue is easily fixed with a software update.

dagoo98

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I had the same problem and the Apple techs plugged it in and out about 1000 times and tried to restore it with no luck. I was given a new iPhone, this one is iPhone #3 for me.