Earpiece Volume Tip/Technique!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
(Was going to post this to the tips thread, but it's more of a technique than a tip.)
This has helped me dramatically with earpiece volume so I thought I'd pass it along. Yes it sounds obvious, but I've had my iPhone for a few weeks and never quite got it right. Now I can say with certainty, I can hear my iPhone in even very loud environments.

Here ya' go:
When in a quiet environment (don't wait till you are already in a loud place) place a call, preferably one with an announcement (bank, weather line, etc.), so you have an easy way to compare. While listening to the call move the earpiece around your ear till the volume is loudest. Then, press the earpiece in--yes, this takes a bit of force--towards your ear. Press it hard. Keep moving it around till you notice a dramatic increase in volume. Be careful as it can actually get too loud (not joking).

I did this and practiced it a few times so I could get it right without much effort.

Yesterday I had chance to see if it worked. Wow, what a difference! I was at the Fashion Show Mall in Vegas right in front of, well, a fashion show. This had a big crowd, BLARING, music--a truly loud environment. Yet I was able to call my wife and the clarity was excellent.

Again, it might take a bit of practice but for me it works.

Now I am not claiming I don't want increased volume, or that we shouldn't have to do this with a $600 phone. I know all of that.

I am just trying to work with what I have--and this technique seems to work for me. No will not use it all of the time, but it's good to know that I can indeed hear (really!) in just about any environment now with my iPhone.

Give it a try and see if it works for you too.

--
Mike

stuart9682

Bronze
May 29, 2007
If you are asking people to simply jam the earpiece further in their ear to increase volume, I can assure you this is not safe. In fact, this is the most neanderthalic suggestion I can imagine to increase earphone volume....

I would not listen to this individuals instructions as you may damage your ear canal or puncture your ear drum, possibly causing permanent deafness.

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
If you are asking people to simply jam the earpiece further in their ear to increase volume, I can assure you this is not safe. In fact, this is the most neanderthalic suggestion I can imagine to increase earphone volume....

I would not listen to this individuals instructions as you may damage your ear canal or puncture your ear drum, possibly causing permanent deafness.

I think the op is referring to the earpiece volume not ear buds....so how in the heck is putting it closer to the ear going to damage the ear canal? If someone jams the phone to there ear that far...man iPhone volume is the least of their worries

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I think the op is referring to the earpiece volume not ear buds....so how in the heck is putting it closer to the ear going to damage the ear canal? If someone jams the phone to there ear that far...man iPhone volume is the least of their worries
Yep, certainly wasn't referring to using ear buds.

And, yes, there is little chance of jamming it in one's ear. ;(

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

Uh, it ain't that loud.

And talk about misunderstanding...

--
Mike

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Interesting post Tinman, If you turn the earbuds out so its like \ out of your ear the volume does increase, although it doesn't stick to well in my ear and tends to fall out the volume increase is very evident. very nice lil trick . i will use it until i get a nice platronics BT earpiece. Nice post.

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
With either handset or earbuds, getting the speaker best aligned with your ear will increase the volume.

For the earbuds, obviously, don't force them. But as the previous poster stated, turning them so that they get a better seal in your ear and the speaker lines up with your ear canal (rather than pointing into your flesh) will improve volume. Wiggle them until they sound best, but don't jam them.

For the handset, I think what he's suggesting is figuring out how best to line up the speaker with your ear canal. Part of the volume problems you may have may be coming from having the speaker pressed up against your flesh when you think it's not. Move it around until it sounds it's loudest, and get used to it being in that position, and you'll avoid the times when you slap the phone to your head and cover the speaker with the fleshy parts of your ear.

Although, if you're wearing a diamond earring, I would be very careful how you wiggle the phone around looking for the proper speaker to ear canal alignment, since that diamond is a lot harder than the glass... avoid rubbing the glass against diamonds!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
For the handset, I think what he's suggesting is figuring out how best to line up the speaker with your ear canal. Part of the volume problems you may have may be coming from having the speaker pressed up against your flesh when you think it's not. Move it around until it sounds it's loudest, and get used to it being in that position, and you'll avoid the times when you slap the phone to your head and cover the speaker with the fleshy parts of your ear.
Yep that is what I was suggesting, with one difference that about doubled my volume from the handset: once you find that sweet spot pressing the iPhone against your ear (use some force) will truly increase the sound dramatically. It really works, at least for me.

Don't need to do this all of the time, naturally, but it's good to be able to use my iPhone in loud environments without issue.

--
Mike

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I think this is a great post, and it definitely falls in the category of "working with what we've got".

This tip has worked well for me, too. I think the keys here are 1) lining up the headset in an optimal fashion with the ear canal, and 2) pressing the headset against your ear to that it forms sort of a seal, thus blocking out ambient noise. I wish I didn't have to do this, esp after paying 600 kachings, but hey - I've gotta work with what I've got. I was at a Reds game, and my Chicago buddies were calling me to gloat over kicking our a$$, and the "press and seal" technique allowed me to be completely harassed without missing a word.

Man, I hope Apple can send me something to update my friends....

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Hey Mike, I remember a Tinman from the Brighthand board about a thousand years ago when I got my first iPaq. Any chance you're that same guy?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hey Mike, I remember a Tinman from the Brighthand board about a thousand years ago when I got my first iPaq. Any chance you're that same guy?
Yep!

Sure seems like a long time ago now... But at the time the iPaq sure was one hot item (not as hot as the iPhone!).

--
Mike

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
Hey guys, I found that if you carry the following items around with you, you can use them to increase your volume. One roll of aluminum foil, a spool of wire, duct tape, 4 three inch long nails, the transmission to a 59 chevy and finally, a monkey wrench. You can, very easily, assemble a make shift "volume increaser" device. It only takes about 5 hours and it only weighs 79lbs so it's pretty easy to carry around. After all, this is better than complaining about a 600 dollar phone that has the worst speaker in the history of cell phones!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hey guys, I found that if you carry the following items around with you, you can use them to increase your volume. One roll of aluminum foil, a spool of wire, duct tape, 4 three inch long nails, the transmission to a 59 chevy and finally, a monkey wrench. You can, very easily, assemble a make shift "volume increaser" device. It only takes about 5 hours and it only weighs 79lbs so it's pretty easy to carry around. After all, this is better than complaining about a 600 dollar phone that has the worst speaker in the history of cell phones!
Was that supposed to be some sort of comedy? Zzzzz.....

--
Mike

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
The original poster kind of made it seem like it was a big thing, but I did notice this the other day. As I was in a call in a restaurant, I was moving the phone and noticed that you have to line it up with your ear canal to get the full volume. It only makes sense.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The original poster kind of made it seem like it was a big thing, but I did notice this the other day. As I was in a call in a restaurant, I was moving the phone and noticed that you have to line it up with your ear canal to get the full volume. It only makes sense.
It's more than just aligning the phone, which is of course obvious. But when you do that and then press the phone tightly--more tightly than you might think--against your ear the volume increases dramatically. Blow it off if you want, but it has made the phone much more usable for me in loud areas.

--
Mike