Easier 1.1.1-to-1.0.2 downgrade method uncovered...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Saw this over at fiveforty:
http://iPhone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/Downgrade_from_1.1.1_to_1.0.2

Method B is roughly what I used, but they have now added Method C, which appears to not require the button dance routine:

1. Install iTunes 7.3.2, which you can download from the links below.

2. Download the 1.0.2 iPhone restore file if you don't have it already.

3. Shift + Click Restore (Windows) or Option + Click Restore (Mac), then point to the file below (use .dmg file in download file).

4. Use AppTap Installer you will be back to normal with EDGE and Wi-Fi support.

Perhaps this will help those who are having trouble with the other methods?

Once again this gives 100% functionality to locked AT&T phones on 1.1.1, or those unlocked but have a "valid AT&T SIM and have used an unlock other than the free SIM unlock."

In case I need to do it again, and have trouble with the other methods, I downloaded iTunes 7.3.2 before Apple yanks it.

--
Mike

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Mike
Could you provide the links to 7.3.2? I am getting up the nerve to revert and start modding and I want to start lining up my ducks.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Mike
Could you provide the links to 7.3.2? I am getting up the nerve to revert and start modding and I want to start lining up my ducks.
Here ya' go...

Mac:
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...7/Mac/061-3608.20070802.im8t3/iTunes7.3.2.dmg

Windows:
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...7/Win/061-3610.20070802.x4r9j/iTunesSetup.exe

And just to cover all bases, the 1.0.2 firmware:
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...70821.vormd/iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw

--
Mike

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
When I attempted to install 7.3.2, it told me I already have a later version installed and it could not complete the install (I have 7.4.3.1 installed). So, I am assuming that I first need to uninstall 7.4.3.1, right? My question is then, if I uninstall this, will I know lose my backup sync?

emx620

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
When I attempted to install 7.3.2, it told me I already have a later version installed and it could not complete the install (I have 7.4.3.1 installed). So, I am assuming that I first need to uninstall 7.4.3.1, right? My question is then, if I uninstall this, will I know lose my backup sync?
Yeah I would think you would have to uninstall the old one. About your backups being saved -- I'm not sure. Worst comes to worst, would a system restore restore the backup? I don't think it would. Does anyone know where the restore files are backuped up? If so, maybe you can copy them somewhere safe and put them back after? Seems a hairy situation either way.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
If you know where the folder is, you can at least make sure to back it up first.

Under Windows (XP) it is here:
C:\Documents and Settings\YourLoginNa\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Not sure if that will allow you to restore from it though. Keep in mind this backup only contains settings, SMS messages, Notes, call history, etc. You other data (music, PIM data, video, etc.) will naturally come back after the first sync. It's not the end of the world if just the backup cannot be used.

Also, I am not sure if uninstalling iTunes will deauthorize that computer for iTunes content. You might need to do that before uninstalling. Perhaps someone more familiar with iTunes can chime in about that.

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Almost made my day... still waiting for a method for those who used the anysim method...
yes, I keep waiting for that to appear--as I figure it will also mean a way to downgrade the baseband. Doesn't appear I need to downgrade the baseband just yet, but I'd like to know that I am able to.

--
Mike

mogz

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
SF
i was wondering, once they found a method to downgrade the baseband, will I then be able to just update it to 1.1.1 as normal?

I was thinking of selling the iPhone and getting the iPod touch instead...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I think that is the goal: to be able to undo the unlock as if it never happened. If they succeed then, yes, I think you should be able to get it back to a fully-functional 1.1.1 (stock) iPhone.

However, I believe they might actually be closer to a 1.1.1 unlock. This means you'd have a 1.1.1 iPhone that is unlocked (but no 3rd party apps). If this happens you might find that an unlocked iPhone will fetch more money than a locked one (hard to tell though--after the 1.1.1 disaster people might not be willing to pay for unlocked iPhones like they had prior).

--
Mike

mogz

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
SF
I think that is the goal: to be able to undo the unlock as if it never happened. If they succeed then, yes, I think you should be able to get it back to a fully-functional 1.1.1 (stock) iPhone.

However, I believe they might actually be closer to a 1.1.1 unlock. This means you'd have a 1.1.1 iPhone that is unlocked (but no 3rd party apps). If this happens you might find that an unlocked iPhone will fetch more money than a locked one (hard to tell though--after the 1.1.1 disaster people might not be willing to pay for unlocked iPhones like they had prior).

--
Mike
I see.. well right now all we gotta do is wait. :)

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Or you could just do a quick sync when you have the 7.3.2 installed, then do all the restoring and such after.

Good find. I'm tempted to go to 1.1.1, but I think I'll just wait for a full restore including baseband is available. I wish I could help out on this stuff, but I have a full time life aside from a full time job:(. (not making fun, just saying I don't have time)

mogz

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
SF
Yep. But in the meantime I hope you went back to 1.0.2 so that at least you can use your iPhone like a Touch.

--
Mike
Yeah i was partially happy when I saw that it can be downgraded.. tried it as soon as I got home and voila i got the ipod part back at least...

Shotta876

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
If I uninstall iTunes, will my modified song titles and what not disappear when I re-install? For example, when I re-install, will all of my song files and whatnot just reappear without having to put them back into iTunes?

For example, I edited a lot of my iTunes song titles in iTunes opposed to the actual file, and I don't want to have to re-do that.

Maui Dave

Sep 5, 2007
iTunes Libray Won't Read

Tried the downgrade, but iTunes won't launch, I get an error at "iTunes won't launch because the iTunes library was created with a newer version of iTunes. any solutions?