eBay instant sale

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Drex27, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Drex27

Drex27 New Member

I recently sent my son's 16g iPhone 4( Verizon) to eBay for the $190 they offered. His phone seemed in pretty good condition to me, no cracks in the screen, powered on and off good.they sent back an offer of $34.00 I was like wtf...
    Any ideas why they would offer so little when the phone seemed in good working condition.. He used it up till I sent it in, and never had any problems with it, other then the home button sticking a little.
    I'm a little nervous to auction it off on eBay when I get it back,don't wanna send anyone a defective phone.
    Any thoughts or advice here would be appreciated.. Thank you

2. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I just sold two iPhone 4's on eBay. One had a defective home button, the other had a deffectice sleep/wake button. They both worked but you really had to mash on the buttons sometimes to get them to work. They both sold for $180 and both sold in less than 60 seconds. I think I probably could have got more but I think it was a fair price especially for partially defective phones.

3. Napoleon Lopez

Bronze

Ebay instant sale usually low balls you. Sometimes they give you a fair amount. But it isn't as much as if you would put it on auction. It is strictly for ppl who don't want to deal with an auction. The way i see it is ebay instant is like a car trade in. A car trade in is instant, you get credit towards a new car immediately. But you wont get the same amount had you resold the car to someone else.

4. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

eBay and amazon instant are Low ballers better off at gazelle.com or eBay auction or Craigslist.

5. Drex27

Drex27 New Member

What makes gazelle different from eBay ?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Gazelle specializes in buying old phones. It's all they do

7. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

And they don't hit you with a lowball offer

8. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Well I got a good price for my 4s 64gb eBay instant and was offered 50 bucks more that what gazell offered. eBay auction was selling for about 20 more than the 400 I got plus I didn't have to pay the eBay fees so I made more than I would have in auction. I would think the market is flooded with 4's (not 4S) and the contract price of 99¢ hurts to.

9. kunfuzious

kunfuzious Member
    Bronze

I received $400 or my 64gb 4S through instant sale on eBay. Only $28 out of pocket for my 64gb 5!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

10. GSXRMike

GSXRMike Member
    Silver

I saw the $400 offer, too, but went through Craigslist instead. I ended up selling my 64GB 4S for $500. The guy came right to me, too.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

FTFY.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Craigslist and eBay auctions are the best way to maximize your profit. But craigslist is THE BEST way to go, IMO. There are no fees, shipping or holding money like you have with eBay. You have instant, cash sales and don't have to deal with the lowball offer final offers from online pawn shops after you've shipped the product. Just be sure to meet people in a public place when you do a craigslist sale.

13. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

I don't see how you guys for $400 for trade in at eBay instam sales when I go and put it on a 4s 64gb mint it only gives me $293?

14. btitus

btitus Contributor
    Silver

That might have been BEFORE the 5 launched. The prices really took
    a dive afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone5 using iCafe app

15. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

I went with Gazelle. They paid me $175 (as quoted) for my 16GB 4. Sent a free box to ship it to them and they stayed in contact with me every step of the way. Sent my 4 to them on Sept. 21 as soon as my 5 was delivered. I got my check less than 2 weeks later.

16. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

When I considered selling my iPhone 4, eBay instant sale was the best over gazelle, best buy, amazon and the others. eBay instant sale offered me $235 for an iPhone 4 AT&T 32GB. I did get some $275 offers on Craigslist but declined as I didn't have possession of a 5 yet.

17. Drex27

Drex27 New Member

Thank you everyone for your advice, think I'm just gonna try an sell it on eBay , Gazelle is only offering $100 for it

18. lonrun

lonrun New Member

I wish I had looked into this further before I used them. I trusted the Ebay brand and that a big company like that wouldn't rip me off. Wow, was I wrong.

The ask only a super general condition assessment before making their offer. Concerned about this I called and asked what the inspection criteria are and was pretty specific. They assured my if the phone was cosmetically in descent shape and worked my offer would be honored. Once they got the phone my offer dropped from $235, to $100 because of "dead pixels". What a scam. The phone was like new.

Here is the email I wrote eBay Instant Sale in rejecting their offer:

"I went out of my way to call your company in advance to understand what the valuation criteria is. Based on my trust in Ebay as a company and the specifics offered in that call I chose eBay for the transaction. There were a number of options I was considering.

The final valuation is less than half the original offer and does not reflect the criteria described to me in advance. To lower a valuation over half is a steep adjustment. That type of adjustment means these criteria are considered "huge" and they could easily have been outlined in advance (strict review policies based on... etc). They could have been outlined online or in my very specific call to you before I accepted the offer. I was assured as long as the item was not dramatically physically damaged and worked, that my offer would be honored. No mention of other criteria or inspection types. I was specific in my call.

You misled me, wasted my time, and now upon sending the phone back I have lost the opportunity to sell the item at the price I would have received when I selected eBay.

This is basically fraud – making a misrepresentation – agreeing to a finical transaction under specific terms and then not honoring it.

Though I didn't look into it before I selected eBay I have since searched online and found a shocking number or reviews and comments reflecting the same experience I've had."

It's sad to me that eBay has allowed themselves to sink to a level where they are involved in something like this to make money. This has changed my opinion of eBay and I will be sure to warn anyone I know that this is how eBay operates.

Don't trust these guys. And shame on eBay. For real.