eBay selling iPhone 5 stolen

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by FFAP1234, Dec 4, 2012.

1. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Happens all the time. It's a glorified IPod now.
    Some people find the phone and don't realize they can unreport it stolen.
    Or it is a stolen phone and they are selling it as such. At least they tell you upfront it is a bad esn.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That's disappointing--and ebay allows this obvious sale of a stolen item to go through? Pathetic!

The police report never generated any leads for you? Did you call back to follow-up?

4. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I'm just waiting, it is still in progress, I was told that it was going to take about 45 days. After 45 days my phone will be in who knows whose hands.

I already gave up my iPhone, what makes me more upset now is the way everything is handling. AT&T told me the AT&T insurance does wonders, in other words if I were paying for the insurance they would have confront the person who was using my phone. I do have my doubts about AT&T collaborations, they didn't want to give me the IMEI number of my phone even when I talked to a supervisor. We had to have a 3 way conference with Apple for them to update the wright EMIE number, when I call today they they still give me a different one. I feel they protect the thief and no me, it is very frustrating.

5. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Your best bet still is to stay on the police..

They have the power to do many things that you don't.. They can subpoena AT&T and get the account information (Name, address, ect) for the account owner that your lost / stolen iPhone is being used on..

Did you ever get a case # from the police?

If yes, follow up with the reporting officer or the detective assigned the case.

If no, walk into the police department headquarters and ask to speak with a commander and not just a regular supervisor.

6. Kiidcurly

Kiidcurly New Member

Do his eBay account name ring a bell. Or contact him like if your going to make him a offer ?

7. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

" I just received the subpoena from Judge Foster this morning (at 1015 hours) and have served the subpoena to AT&T Subpoena Compliance as of 1045 hours this date via fax. AT&T has until December 28, 2012 at 0900 hours to comply. Now, we wait."

That is a copy of the email I got 11/26 from the official who took the case, so I am patiently waiting : (

8. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Awesome!

Don't expect a quick resolution though as it all takes time and effort.

Once AT&T responds detectives then speak with the account holder who may or may not play games. If that person decides to cooperate it could go quickly but if they don't it turns into a long drawn out kind of thing.

The PD may forward charges to the DA and then you wait for the DA to file charges. Then a very long wait for a court date that could get continued to a later date several times over.

Lastly, assuming it goes to court, if the person is found guilty and ordered to pay restitution getting that restitution payed back could be another lengthy time frame.

Hopefully the account owner, when confronted by the police, tells some lame story about how they found the phone, didn't know it was stolen, and hands the phone to the officer..

In this instance charges may not be filled because it would be difficult to disprove the story but you would at least get your phone back..

Looks like you are on track so keep at it and good luck!

9. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

No, that isn't my phone, mine is white, also 32GB. My point is that I see that there are many of us who lost or had their phone stolen, I can see my phone been sold the same way. Doesn't it ring a bell when IMEI is bad and is sold with no accessories, no box, no nothing else? There got a be something else we can do and not just give up and go and get a new one to solve the problem.

10. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

So only if it goes to court I will see the person? I'm afraid that I will recognize him since he should be from the same gym I go.

11. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

That depends on a bunch of different things but since its such a minor property only crime (not minor to you by any means but minor in what the police deal with daily) that may very well be the only time you would actually see the person responsible.

12. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

Thank you for all your input : )

13. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

No problem and keep us updated!

Good luck for a speedy resolution!

14. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I will let you all know, yes I hope it isn't much longer, thank you again.

15. Kgd0630

Kgd0630 Contributor
    Bronze

All bad Esn on ebay aren't stolen. I have sold 2 for a family member that had to cancel their contracts due o the cost. That gives the phones on Verizon network bad esn until the ETF is paid. The phones sold quickly at a decent price, but not close to a full function iPhone price.

16. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I believe Verizon and Sprint flag the ESN for non payment of bill but I do not think AT&T does.. A flagged AT&T phone (like the one in the eBay ad the OP posted) would almost always mean it's stolen / reported as lost..

Edit to correct: I guess AT&T just started blocking phones for non payment a few months ago...

17. Ozzie5374

Ozzie5374 Contributor
    Bronze

Yeah. Keep onto it and do not let up. Make em accountable. Like a pit bull with an arm in its mouth! Apologies to any pit bulls reading this forum.

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

19. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Blocking yes. Not flagged for stolen. 30 days after account is deleted for Non payment that phone is released due having the ETF applied. Is against the law for them to block the phone and charge you ETF.

20. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Btw sprint does not block or flag phones for non payment. Will suspend your account but esn doesn't have anything against it.