ebooks

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

fug2000

Aug 1, 2007
How do you get ebooks? Do you mean you can have them on your mac then add them to your I Tunes?
iTunes won't do ebooks. It does audio books. If you are looking to read books (ebooks) on your iPhone then you need Books.app. The app creator has done a great job with it. It only allows you to read .txt and html books though. There are a lot available out there. For more info go to Google Code and search for "iPhoneebooks" and it will take you to the developer's page. :)

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
The easiest way that I got them on was using iBrickr, then installed the books app from there, and then iBrickr will allow you to create directory structures and add html or txt books. I don't know how to do it on a mac, as I have a PC. I got about 200 megs or so of ebooks on my iPhone and the app works very well

j2chulo

Aug 25, 2007
ok i have some ebook but they are chm file how can i converte them to html or txt? let me just try to change the extension and see if that work. ....opps i just froze my phone by doing that i change the ebook from chm to html and loaded it when i opene it opene but with lot of character letter. and my phone froze. now i cant get it back to normal holding the power button won't work. ok got it back to normal. had to hold the power and home for about 2 minutes down. won't recommend anybody to do that.

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
ok i have some ebook but they are chm file how can i converte them to html or txt? let me just try to change the extension and see if that work. ....opps i just froze my phone by doing that i change the ebook from chm to html and loaded it when i opene it opene but with lot of character letter. and my phone froze. now i cant get it back to normal holding the power button won't work. ok got it back to normal. had to hold the power and home for about 2 minutes down. won't recommend anybody to do that.
That was actually informative. LOL Thanks for the 411.

fug2000

Aug 1, 2007
I've tried some programs that convert .pdf files to .txt or html, but the books lose their chapters and formatting. Found a few that do chm files too, but I assume that those files will experience the same problem. Has anyone found any programs that WILL keep the chapters and format correctly?

j2chulo

Aug 25, 2007
yeah if some one find a nice program to convert chm to html or txt keeping the same book format chapter and everything please let us know

fug2000

Aug 1, 2007
Just found that ebooks.com allows you to read your (purchased) ebooks online. It does work through Safari on our iPhones but it is not formatted to our iPhones yet. Meaning that it is very difficult to scroll the book pages. This will be sweet when (if) they set it up to work with the iPhone.:)

divabimbers

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Arizona
O'Reilly Safari Library?

How about this site?

http://safari.oreilly.com/

Does this work for anyone on the iPhone? I ask since this could come in very handy to be able to read tech books on the go, particularly for my classes when I'm doing multimedia.

Update:
I contacted them about this, and they DO have a mobile version that should work on the iPhone which is good to know. They do say that the only constraint is you can't view print fidelity books. Still, it's something at least. If anyone wants the link, it's here:

http://access.safari.oreilly.com

bgattis

Sep 10, 2007
Thanks for the info. Just added the book reader to the phone and I am glad to find out that I can add my own books to the phone.