Ecosystem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ivantwilliams, Dec 7, 2013.

1. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I'm curious, are you part of one ecosystem, i.e. BlackBerry OS, iOS or Android, or are you part of multiple?

I just bought an Apple TV, to go along with my iPad Mini. Mainly for watching films. But, now I'm seriously considering diving deep into ONE ecosystem, and thus consolidate all my music, films etc. but at the same time having them available no matter the device or TV I'm using.

There are simply too many systems to be a part of, no? And it can be costly, too...

What say you?

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I started my adventure into the Apple ecosystem with an iPhone 3G, my first smart phone, in Jan 2009. When my Windows XP machine was on it's last legs I switched to OSX and a MacBook Pro toward the end of 2010. I picked up an ATV2 along the way and have stuck with iPhone through the 4, 4s, (skipped the 5) and now have the 5s. While the experience hasn't been bug free, I can't imagine it being any better trying to merge different platforms into it. Before I had the ATV I did use my Xbox 360 to stream video from my Mac to my TV but it had to be converted to a Windows friendly format first and I had to use a third party app. With the Mac, iPhone, and ATV the interaction between the three and the TV has been relatively seamless. With the advent of Airplay and the Air Video app you can stream just about any video file from the Mac or iDevice to the ATV with live conversion (no need to convert to an iTunes friendly version.)

Since the OSX/iOS ecosystem is my only experience (with a little Xbox thrown in) I can't speak to other integrated or cross-platform systems. I'd venture to guess that Apple is a step ahead of the other alternatives when it comes to a home media experience. I've seen some of my FB friends post some positive results with their Android devices and using the new Google Chromecast, but I'm too deeply invested in the Apple ecosystem to consider trying it.

3. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

I've had various iPhones since 08, ipad, and a macbook. Earlier this year I switched briefly to an S3 and Note Tablet. It was a nightmare to say the least and I switched right back.

I will say my Google Chromecast works great. I got it since it was only $40, and very portable. I can take it in my purse when I'm out of town and use it to stream my Netflix or HBO Go wherever.

I've been flirting with the idea of ATV but I'm not sure how beneficial it would be. The display went out on my macbook after 5 years so I have it hooked up to television & use a wireless keyboard/mouse. Between that and the Chromecast I'm not sure ATV would be worth it.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I feel like this should be moved to an on-topic forum. Any suggestions as to which one? iOS 7, iPhone?

#4 chris, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  5. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Hmm, I say iPhone @chris

Sent using iCafe app

#5 ivantwilliams, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
  6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I searched for a thread that would be all inclusive for Apple iGadgets, but saw none. Could the "iPhone" thread's title be changed to "iPhone And Other iGadgets"?

Sent using iCafe app

#6 Ledsteplin, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
  7. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

It was my understanding the the "iPhone" sub-forum was pertaining to the original iPhone released in 2007 and not just a general catch-all iPhone sub-forum. There's a sub-forum for every other generation.

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I think that was the original intent, but when I broke things out by model (the second time around), the iPhone category become a combination first gen + general iPhone conversation.

This is why I have to stop making changes.:eek:

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That in itself would be a change.