Edge aint dead yet!

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
As much as I like gsm/edge, the iPhone has really been a great example of why 3G is needed. You cant even receive frikkin calls on this thing while using any kind of data. I have learned to manage but when I first discovered this in July I pretty much sold my iPhone the next day. It is totally unnaceptable and unproffessional that it cannot interrupt data for an incoming call, which is the least required of a functional phone. Simultaneous data/voice(3G) is the biggest downfall of the iPhone, it's not mainly just a speed issue which a lot of people don't understand. Its about receiving ALL of your phone calls regardless of whether your checking email, browsing or watching youtube etc, I shouldn't have to stay off the browser or not check my email just because I don't want to miss an important call. Definitely the iPhones achillees heel.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It is my understanding that voice will override data on certain, newer towers. It is also my understanding that when 3G is more widespread, more of these towers will be in use, so this will slowly become less and less of a problem even for us Edge users...

Am I dreaming?

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
It is my understanding that voice will override data on certain, newer towers. It is also my understanding that when 3G is more widespread, more of these towers will be in use, so this will slowly become less and less of a problem even for us Edge users...

Am I dreaming?

It is true that some towers allow for the iPhone to interrupt data for voice but these towers are only in select areas. I don't think it has anything to do with the 3g towers because I have full 3g reception everywhere around here but since the iPhone operates on edge it will not interrupt data for a incoming call. Now that said, the real problem is in the iPhone itself as edge capable phones have been able to interrupt data for voice calls for years. A good example of this is a Blackberry or Motorola phone. You're browsing, phone call comes in, browser pauses and call rings on your end. Instead of the iPhone way...You're browsing, call either goes to vm or rings & rings on callers end, but never rings or shows a missed call on your end unless the caller leaves a voicemail.