Edge connection and data charges

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dflowers

Oct 22, 2007
Hi to you all. I just received an iPhone for my anniversary and since I am having a hard time finding my answer in the user manual, I thougfht I'd ask some folks with experience using this phone. When i connected to the internet, the Edge network is how I connected, I got that part. My problem is, my "E" for the network shows on my display (beside AT&T bars) like it is active all the time. I tried turning the phone off and it pops back up. I am afraid i am going to be charged for keeping active connection. I only signed up for the basic $20 plan. Any thoughts on how to turn the Edge off or should I have to. I appreciate any advice. Thanks
Deb

Kipper

Bronze
The bars and "E" are always on when u are on the internet. The "E" is not only for internet usage but also cell usage. There is a way to turn off Edge via 3rd party app from Chris Hoffman which means modding your iPhone but I don't think that is something u want to do at the moment.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I only signed up for the basic $20 plan. Any thoughts on how to turn the Edge off or should I have to. I appreciate any advice. Thanks
Deb
The unlimited data in the $20 package is designed to cover this being on and in use almost constantly when the phone is on. Everything from email to text messaging to the phone just checking periodically if you have data to download such as the above two items all use the "E". As long as you don't go out of the country and link up to a Mexican provider then your covered by your $20 plan. If you go out of the country and link into a non-AT&T data provider it can get expensive without a plan through AT&T to cover it. And then it is expensive anyway. I just turn my data off when in Rocky Point using the services add-on program.

BuzzLY

Oct 18, 2007
I concur. The "E" means you are on the Edge network. You have unlimited access to edge -- the only "extra" cost on the basic plan, if I am not mistaken, is if you go over your allotted number of text messages. If you are not sending text messages, you are ok. You will always see the E unless you are connected to a wireless network, in which case you'll see the wireless symbol.

Hope that clears things up for you!

dflowers

Oct 22, 2007
thanks

I concur. The "E" means you are on the Edge network. You have unlimited access to edge -- the only "extra" cost on the basic plan, if I am not mistaken, is if you go over your allotted number of text messages. If you are not sending text messages, you are ok. You will always see the E unless you are connected to a wireless network, in which case you'll see the wireless symbol.

Hope that clears things up for you!
Awesome. Thanks for all the advice. This phone is so cool. I'm think I'm a bit to technologically challenenged to use it but I know I won't go over my basic text plan. Have a good week and thanks again.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
here's my little input.

the E is always there, like they have mentioned but changes colors when you're are using it with internet.

and also like they're said, the data plan you are supposed to get when you sign up with AT&T covers all internet usage.