Edge data plan on 3G iPhone?

Jul 6, 2007
I currently have an old 4gb iPhone and am thinking about upgrading to a newer one mostly because of the GPS and I like the look better.

What would happen if I just swapped my sim over to a activated 3g iPhone? Is there any way to keep the same data plan and just not have the increased speed?

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
I currently have an old 4gb iPhone and am thinking about upgrading to a newer one mostly because of the GPS and I like the look better.

What would happen if I just swapped my sim over to a activated 3g iPhone? Is there any way to keep the same data plan and just not have the increased speed?
Of course, in fact, you can even use the 3G network if you want, you'll just use your data plan up faster.

..Also, you can only use GPS on the 3G network.. It doesn't work (well) on EDGE.

Jul 6, 2007
Of course, in fact, you can even use the 3G network if you want, you'll just use your data plan up faster.

..Also, you can only use GPS on the 3G network.. It doesn't work (well) on EDGE.
That doesn't really make sense, use up my data plan faster? -It's unlimited. Also I wouldn't think the GPS would have anything to do with the 3g network but I could be wrong.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.

In order to activate the 3G, you have to sign a 2 year contract and add the 3G data plan. At this point the V1 data plan will be deleted unless you opt to keep both.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY

ummm....GPS works just fine on EDGE. I have a 3G but live in a non-3G area. I use 3G all the time and it takes maybe 1 minute to find my location. And that'd be pushing it. It also works fine for directions and locating places I can't find.

Jul 6, 2007
That's the truth. It's real slow in Edge.
That's strange, I see no reason why 3g should have any effect on the GPS but that may be. But my main question is still unanswered: if I have an activated 3g iPhone, put my current sim card in it(with a old EDGE data plan) and turn off 3g what's going to happen?

Last edited by a moderator:

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
That's strange, I see no reason why 3g should have any effect on the GPS but that may be. But my main question is still unanswered: if I have an activated 3g iPhone, put my current sim card in it(with a old EDGE data plan) and turn off 3g what's going to happen?
You might as well just get the v1 iPhone, then, if all you're going to use is EDGE. That's all you're going to virtually limit it to anyway.

tesh

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
well....to answer the original question:

ive got a 3G phone bought already activated - then i restored and re-activated with my Edge data plan sim; after 45 mintues of nail biting, the phone was activated and according to my cingular plan online, im still on the edge data plan, running my 3G phone - albeit, with 3G turned off (for good - reception for 3G isn't great, so i saw no point in getting the 3G plan)
however, i wanted the 3G phone for the GPS (i get in no cell reception areas often), the flush mounted headphone jack (i use external speakers at various locations) and the general new-ness that comes with a newer phone...

so short and sweet answer: as long as you don't turn on 3G, you should be acting as running with an edge phone - HOWEVER!

att has sent me emails and a text now and then stating:

"Our service records indicate that you are using an iPhone 3G with a data plan designed for other devices.

To avoid unexpected data overage charges and enable Visual Voicemail, please contact your telecom manager, or an AT&T representative at 1-800-331-0500.

Thank you for choosing wireless from AT&T. We appreciate your businesss.

Sincerely,
AT&T Customer Service"

with edge turned off, i hardly see how they can charge me for more if im not using more than im paying for... but i guess we'll see...

morth58

Bronze
Mar 17, 2008
the only effect 3g has on gps is the ability to load the map pages faster