EDGE data rates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
According to this so-so Wikipedia article, EDGE comes in 2 classes. The second, class 4, actually has a theoretically higher DTR (~470 kbaud) than standard 3G (~380 kbaud). Even the slower 2G DTR (~270 kbaud) is not that much slower by the numbers. I wonder which EDGE standard the iPhone will have.

I'm currently a Verizon guy (but not for long!). What are folks' experiences with EDGE? No matter what, it's still better than what I've got now.

-K

Jan 10, 2007
Southeast
What are folks' experiences with EDGE? No matter what, it's still better than what I've got now.

-K
Mine with the Treo has been very reliable. As far as speed, I can say, that the 680 seems much, much faster than the 650! I am currently grandfathered into the Cingular medianet plan . . I don't think this will be an option when I upgrade to the iPhone . . . I have no complaints with Edge other than some of Cingular's new video services are not offered through the Edge service . .

Mar 7, 2007
Cingular offers many data plans and there rates here are the rates i found.

5mb = 19.99
10mb = 29.99
20mb = 39.99
or pay per use of $.01/kb

EDGE charges you for the amount of info you download, no service fee to use it, same with 3g if your phone is capable and its available in your area you are still only charged for what you download.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US

5mb = 19.99
10mb = 29.99
20mb = 39.99

EDGE charges you for the amount of info you download, no service fee to use it, same with 3g if your phone is capable and its available in your area you are still only charged for what you download.
Thanks for the info, but the rates we're talking about are data rates (speed), not dollar rates (price).

-K

Mar 7, 2007
ith that case

EDGE- data rates rang anywhere from 75-135kb
Cingular's 3G service is currently the fastest wireless internet available using HSDPA/UMTS its data rates range from about 300kb-1.8mbps
The LG CU500 is the fastest phone for the 3G cell phone market.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
ith that case

EDGE- data rates rang anywhere from 75-135kb
Cingular's 3G service is currently the fastest wireless internet available using HSDPA/UMTS its data rates range from about 300kb-1.8mbps
The LG CU500 is the fastest phone for the 3G cell phone market.
Right. But what EDGE speeds are you getting?

-K

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com

5mb = 19.99
10mb = 29.99
20mb = 39.99

I am not sure if they changed their plans since I signed up, but Cingular used to have two levels of data plans. They had one for PDAs/laptops which was priced as above and they had one for smart phones. I have the unlimited smart phone plan which costs me $20 per month. Hopefully this is the plan they will offer for the iPhone.

gmplr831

Mar 12, 2007
Right. But what EDGE speeds are you getting?

-K
My edge speeds with my blackjack were always about 150kbps, which as we know isn't very fast but at least it was something. Plus the EDGE is much cheaper than the 3g. I know because 29.99 gets u unlimited edge, and 3g is 49.99!

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
Does anybody use the Cingular EDGE to load websites and stuff like that? Will we be able to live with it?:cool:
Yes, I live in a Cingular EDGE area and my Blackjack typically gets between 110-120kbps download speeds. Only the larger downloads seem slow compared to 3G, but the battery life is so much better.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Yes, I live in a Cingular EDGE area and my Blackjack typically gets between 110-120kbps download speeds. Only the larger downloads seem slow compared to 3G, but the battery life is so much better.

I will probably use it to check basic stuff like sports scores and news. probably stuff I could do in widgets.