EDGE of WiFi

mrgrumble

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Strong Island, NY
Which consumes most of the battery power when being used? I don't know if anyone answered this already but i'd personally like to know. Because when i'm at work my wifi is full strength so i'm wondering if I should use the Wifi all the time when i'm at work or just when surfing the web

gijohn

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
WiFi will suck up the battery quicker than Edge. I leave mine off when not needed. Turn it on if I want to surf, stocks, etc. Only takes 15 seconds to switch it from Edge to WiFi.

mrgrumble

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Strong Island, NY
WiFi will suck up the battery quicker than Edge. I leave mine off when not needed. Turn it on if I want to surf, stocks, etc. Only takes 15 seconds to switch it from Edge to WiFi.
I figured that thats what i'm doing now so i'm glad to see i'm doing the right thing. And by the way how do you thank somebody i cant figure that simple thing out

clausenfan

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
bottom right of a post says thanks! click that

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
When I know I'm not going to be in the range of a decent wifi network, I turn it off so it doesn't waste juice looking. I didn't know it uses more power than edge, though. I just might stick to edge when untethered from the charger cable even here at home. It isn't unbearably slow for me anyway.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
My wifi is usually on all day long and I make it through the entire day without having to place it on a charger; couldnt say that for my Mogul.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I'm one of the unfortunate ones where it seems to have come with a dead battery. I'd be lucky to get 5 hours of active use out of it. And that includes music playing with the screen off.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I'm one of the unfortunate ones where it seems to have come with a dead battery. I'd be lucky to get 5 hours of active use out of it. And that includes music playing with the screen off.
I forgot to mention that I have music or audiobooks playing with the screen off and I check my mail manually.

I don't know if there is an app that gives you the percentage of how much battery is remaining. It rather hard to say with just a battery bar. Right now, my battery is not at the 1/2 mark.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I had it fully charged at 10:30. I've been using it on edge browsing the web for about an hour and a half. For the first 30 minutes or so, I was listening to music with the integrated speaker at the 3 dot volume level. I got tired of the web browser stopping the music and just gave up on that. Minimum brightness, manual email checking, etc. My battery indicator just fell below 1/2

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Really? Wifi uses more battery than Edge? Not in my experience. Perhaps in idle, when not connected to a wifi network, you will use more juice with the Wifi searching for a network. But when I'm actively surfing, on Edge I can almost see the battery gauge go down it's so draining. Wifi goes forever. Is it just me?

mrgrumble

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Strong Island, NY
I had it fully charged at 10:30. I've been using it on edge browsing the web for about an hour and a half. For the first 30 minutes or so, I was listening to music with the integrated speaker at the 3 dot volume level. I got tired of the web browser stopping the music and just gave up on that. Minimum brightness, manual email checking, etc. My battery indicator just fell below 1/2
wow I actually feel really bad for you that's unexceptable on any phone