Edge speed tests posted (Article)

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
The 5805 iPhone users who took the speed test were getting an average download speed of 109 kilobits per second (Kbps) on the EDGE network. EV-DO wireless networks consistantly deliver between 400 Kbps to 700 Kbps download speeds, with bursts up to 2 megabits per second (Mbps). Your broadband connection at home is likely to be in the 1 Mbps range, or about 10 times the speed of EDGE. AT&T's more advanced 3G wireless network is also capable of delivering download speeds of around 1 Mbps.

So why did Apple and AT&T choose EDGE and not the AT&T 3G network for the iPhone? Because EDGE covers 90 percent of the country, while the 3G network covers just a few markets. Until AT&T builds out its 3G network to reach the rest of us, the iPhone will remain a 21st century device running on a 20th century network.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
So why did Apple and AT&T choose EDGE and not the AT&T 3G network for the iPhone? Because EDGE covers 90 percent of the country, while the 3G network covers just a few markets. Until AT&T builds out its 3G network to reach the rest of us, the iPhone will remain a 21st century device running on a 20th century network.

Two reasons. EDGE coverage is MUCH better. 3G uses more battery power.

I don't have intentions of using my iPhone like a laptop. I'll connect to WiFi when I can, and EDGE is FAST ENOUGH when I can't.

cbnash

Jun 22, 2007
Stats are one thing, "real world" usage is another. I live in the Washington DC area/Va. and find that Edge is fast enough for what I want to do (email, web, etc.)

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Stats are one thing, "real world" usage is another. I live in the Washington DC area/Va. and find that Edge is fast enough for what I want to do (email, web, etc.)

Same here..., I've had no issues with Edge. I guess maybe I was expecting much worse, because everyone was making such a big deal of it. However my webpage loads and everything else is working fine.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
I can also live with EDGE. For me, it doesn't really matter. The majority of my day is spent in a non-3G area anyway. Yeah, EDGE is slow, but it's bearable. I have a wifi signal at home, my girlfriend's, parents house, sister's house (soon), just not at work, yet.

Joe

Farani

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
I live in metro Detroit. I just got my iPhone yesterday, but I have to say that after hearing all of the talk about how terrible EDGE is and it's going to ruin the iPhone, etc, etc, I have to say the talk is all BS. I mean EDGE isn't lightning fast but you can certainly get what you want done on it without a problem. I'm getting about 120Kbps on average. I'd rather have better battery life.

jordan

Bronze
Jun 18, 2007
Oklahoma
edge is fine by me too, at least for now. with all the wifi hotspots and the fact that i have wifi everywhere i am throughout my day i can't complain to much.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I understand that G3 cover only the large Markets at this time, but why not built it with G3 for the people that have it already. It sounds like people think you can have only one or the other. A phone can switch between G3 and EDGE.

What I see is that At&t would have charged $40 a month for the Data Plan on 3G instead $20 for the EDGE. The iPhone is a PDA and could not have a cheaper plan than other PDA's with 3G. With that said, how many of you would have got the iPhone if you had to pay $40 instead of $20? That is why I believe At&t went with EDGE.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I understand that G3 cover only the large Markets at this time, but why not built it with G3 for the people that have it already. It sounds like people think you can have only one or the other. A phone can switch between G3 and EDGE.

What I see is that At&t would have charged $40 a month for the Data Plan on 3G instead $20 for the EDGE. The iPhone is a PDA and could not have a cheaper plan than other PDA's with 3G. With that said, how many of you would have got the iPhone if you had to pay $40 instead of $20? That is why I believe At&t went with EDGE.
I'm still holding on to hope that there's some sort of "hidden" 3G adapter in the phone..... I will bust a nut in my pants, when they announce the unlocking of that feature. lol

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I'm still holding on to hope that there's some sort of "hidden" 3G adapter in the phone..... I will bust a nut in my pants, when they announce the unlocking of that feature. lol
I am with you. My laptop is missing 3G and a phone that it can tether with it.
I don't see why it couldn't be done or what chip is missing.