Edge (Speed) Vs. WiFi (Speed)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

erroneous

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
When the iPhone was first released, there were lots of
comments posted by those seeming to have knowledge
about the speed of the Edge Network verses the WiFi
connection speed.

Having traveled between Ohio, and Michigan quite
frequently in major metropolitan areas such as
Detroit, Chicago, Grand Rapids, Columbus, and so on...
I always end up shutting off the WiFi, because the Edge
Network connection seems to load websites a tad bit faster.
(Is this just a sense of illusion, or does it actually work faster?)

Does it for you?

And if so, would it be because of the various ways
the WiFi would actually be connected to the web?
(A DSL connection verses cable, and so on.)

Just a curious question from,

John

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
When the iPhone was first released, there were lots of
comments posted by those seeming to have knowledge
about the speed of the Edge Network verses the WiFi
connection speed.

Having traveled between Ohio, and Michigan quite
frequently in major metropolitan areas such as
Detroit, Chicago, Grand Rapids, Columbus, and so on...
I always end up shutting off the WiFi, because the Edge
Network connection seems to load websites a tad bit faster.
(Is this just a sense of illusion, or does it actually work faster?)

Does it for you?

And if so, would it be because of the various ways
the WiFi would actually be connected to the web?
(A DSL connection verses cable, and so on.)

Just a curious question from,

John

I have never had EDGE speeds that even came close to how fast my Wifi is. I just went to San Francisco and used A LOT of different Wifi connects (some of which I didn't even know from where they came) and none of them were even close to as slow as EDGE.

Maybe my EDGE just sucks? :(

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I have definitely encountered WiFi hotspots that were slower than EDGE.

Houston IAH airport on a busy day for instance, when everyone and their uncle is using WiFi. I barely got over 75 kbps one time, whereas EDGE was 165 kbps. Of course this doesn't count the time spent/wasted searching for/connecting to the WLAN in the first place (plus the false starts: WLANs in range, but not usable).

I've even seen EDGE faster than WiFi in certain stores (e.g., the Staples by my house).

Obviously WiFi is faster most of the time (certainly at home/work), but not always. As for me, if I just need to lookup something quick I'll use EDGE. By the time I would have found and connected to a WiFi network, if there is even one around, I would likely already have what I wanted via EDGE. There's no point in spending 2 minutes to just find or connect to a WLAN when in 1 minute you could be done under EDGE.

--
Mike

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I agree I have encountered many wifi networks that were much slower than edge....

FWIW, I have noticed DRASTIC edge data transfer and response time improvements in NYC.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I agree I have encountered many wifi networks that were much slower than edge....

FWIW, I have noticed DRASTIC edge data transfer and response time improvements in NYC.
Using EDGE all over San Diego it seems like I get drastically different speeds depending on where I am... maybe sometimes I'm not getting an EDGE and it is switching over to whatever the slower thing is...

I'd think a city as big as San Diego would have EDGE covering the whole place?

erroneous

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Ok...

Glad to know my observations about the WiFi vs. the EDGE
network speeds were not an illusion.

Thanks for the replies.

John

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Posting this from Austin airport. Edge tested at 182 kbps. A friend sitting next to me got 156 kbps on WiFi--that he paid $7 to get. :)

--
Mike

jags86

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
needless to say, wifi is only as fast as the internet connection its connected to. edge for the most part is between 90-180 kbps. i've found that the iPhone's wifi seems to cap at around 6 mbps--based on the fact my computer gets between 11-13 and then the iPhone speed test on the same site gives around 6.

of course if the wifi is connected to 768 kbps dsl and 20 people are on it, then its safe to say edge will be faster.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
i get around 150kbps or so here .. i normally keep wifi off because of how badly it drains the battery. EDGE is plenty fast for what i need it for .. checking stocks on scottrade, weather, and email. i don't view complicated sites very often on the phone ..

iPhone8801

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
Yeah, what program on your iPhone did you use? Or are these readings from your browser on your computer?

I usually use speedtest.net on my firefox, however the iPhone does not support flash :sick:

Bilal

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Posting this from Austin airport. Edge tested at 182 kbps. A friend sitting next to me got 156 kbps on WiFi--that he paid $7 to get. :)

--
Mike
Cool im always in transit to Austin airport. I probably wont buy internet at airports anymore.

kazaam

Bronze
Oct 8, 2007
Im using Tmobile Total Internet Package $19.99, I just test my EDGE speed and it only 18-33Kbps..

Is it the phone problem or Tmobile problem? Anyone getting better with Tmobile?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Im using Tmobile Total Internet Package $19.99, I just test my EDGE speed and it only 18-33Kbps..

Is it the phone problem or Tmobile problem? Anyone getting better with Tmobile?
Lots of people have. The speeds you are reporting sound more like GPRS. It's possible you are in an area with only GPRS (this has happened to me even on AT&T). Try another area with known EDGE coverage. If you are in a known EDGE area perhaps your reception was poor and/or the network/tower was busy/crowded.

--
Mike