First results

200kbps down 60kbps up

Second Test

175kbps down 55 up

Not too bad

DiscoJoey

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
is there any way to cap my browser at like 175kbps so i can test websites i go to and see how fast they load?

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Ah that is pretty good. I would have a hard time finding that being slow when browsing the web. I am concerned about times where people claim speeds more in line with a 56k modem when loaded.

mcnearcj

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
is there any way to cap my browser at like 175kbps so i can test websites i go to and see how fast they load?
http://www.netlimiter.com/

It's shareware but you get the full version for 28 days anyway.

Install it and reboot.

Run netlimiter then run your web browser and select it out of the process list in netlimiter

Right click on the process and select show rules

Click on the rule and enter the amount you want to limit it to.

Save and browse.

It really isn't too bad. But the latency is still going to be better on your home connection so it isn't 100% accurate.

EricFink

Jun 19, 2007
The guy in the one article said it took 100 seconds to load the yahoo home page. Yikes!

Pogue is very credible, but in this case his info is flawed. He had to have been in an absolute deadzone to get those zombie speeds. EDGE is slow, but not even close to that slow.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
If you use Edge everyday like I do it won't be that bad. I think it is just fine for a mobile application. If you haven't used Edge you might be apt to complain. Either way I am getting this bad boy on day one!

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
Pogue is very credible, but in this case his info is flawed. He had to have been in an absolute deadzone to get those zombie speeds. EDGE is slow, but not even close to that slow.
I hope. I just realized that the whole 3G thing is a mute point for me, because my city doesn't even support it.

Fafafoooey

Bronze
Apr 26, 2007
people seem to forget that AT&T double the throughput of EDGE for iPhone's release. I spoke to a businesss rep and she spoke to a Tier3 data support person who confirmed this. Even EDGE before was not that bad. It is not EVDO, but it is still decent.

Knowsall

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
EDGE wifi combo just fine...If you HAVE to have 3g or somehow feel shorted then I guess its your prerogative if it hurts you for some uses. For me however its purrrfect and is gonna purrrr EDGE and Wifi till i feel(yawn) like upgrading in Jan/Feb