EDGE vs Blackberry phone download speeds?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Deedubau

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
well, I own the pearl (and still love it) on t-mobile and it worked really fast for edge. It only took 10-30 seconds for the browser to load the webpages. On the iPhone........It's almost as bad as the sidekick II with the gsm speed! I heard att uses slower edge which may be the reason or their towers just aren't working correctly right now. Some people say edge works for browsing but I haven't gotten it to work at an acceptable speed yet

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
well, I own the pearl (and still love it) on t-mobile and it worked really fast for edge. It only took 10-30 seconds for the browser to load the webpages. On the iPhone........It's almost as bad as the sidekick II with the gsm speed! I heard att uses slower edge which may be the reason or their towers just aren't working correctly right now. Some people say edge works for browsing but I haven't gotten it to work at an acceptable speed yet
might be the area you are in. I have good, not great dl speeds on EDGE with my new iPhone. Is it the fastest in the world? not compared to my wifi, but its decent.

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
might be the area you are in. I have good, not great dl speeds on EDGE with my new iPhone. Is it the fastest in the world? not compared to my wifi, but its decent.
It could have also been the actual web server hosting the site... or their servers ISP, or a largerer backbone NAP, or any one of probably 100 other things that can go wrong when testing download speeds with a random site - problems that are mostly out of ATTs control.

Also, it's a myth that Tmobil's EDGE is any different than ATTs. EDGE is EDGE no matter who has it. There was a problem with some of ATT towers simply not having a large enough internet pipe to share with all the cell phones... but that was changed early on.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/exclusiv...oosted-by-atts-operation-fine-edge-265867.php

Also note that the Blackberry Pearl is an EDGE device just like the iPhone - same theoretical network speed.

Note also that the browser on an iPhone is doing much more than most other phones, rendering an entire page as a desktop would, with all the content - and then making all that content scalable. Just some stuff to keep in mind.

Here is the cell phone data speed test site hosted by DSLReports. Everyone should use this link when testing so that we have more standardized results.

http://i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
It really doesn't matter... because if I remember correctly ( and correct me if Im wrong ) but Blackberrys don't use full blown html like the iPhone does. So it's not really a comparible test. The Blackberry has less data to load to see a "webpage" than iPhone does.

Naylor07

Bronze
Sep 8, 2007
They seem pretty comparable, I came from a blackberry curve. It really depends on your signal strength, but the great thing is the iPhone has wifi.

My curve speed was about 100kbs or so with full strength.

Deedubau

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
I think it does matter because having internet on the pearl is better than having a page not load or trying to load and failing after waiting a couple of minutes on the iPhone. I just realized that the edge on att is highly inconsistent. It definitely doesn't bother me when it works and pages load in 10-30 seconds, but most of the time, I can't even get a single page to load!