Edit emoji icons and change to make custom?

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
There's a thread on this over at MMi, but it hasn't made any progress, so i figured i wanted to post here to see if you guys had any insight.
----------------------------------------------

the artwork file is located in system/library/frameworks/UIKit.framework/Keyboard-Emoji.artwork but the .artwork only contains the files that change the look of the buttons that insert the icons. (think keyboard themes. they don't change the actual keys inserted)

so the challenge is figuring out how to change the actual icons that get inserted. i was wondering if it may actually be a font? i'm not sure if that's possible.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ouch. I guess no one here knows anything about it. I don't :(

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Apple likes to hide their icons. On the Mac, just about every element of the UI is packed within either the ArtFile.bin or the SArtFile.bin, and while SArtFile.bin can be decoded and re-encoded through a few Java decoders, I don't think it's possible to get into the ArtFile.bin - the only way to change things inside of it is to entirely recreate the package. On the iPhone, every .png file is written so that the blue and red pixels are switched - because of this, the files aren't viewable on a computer by default, and even when they're fixed, they're in the wrong color.

Because of that, I'm going to say the emoji icons are very well disguised and packaged in a way so that you won't be able to mess with them.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Bummer, I was going to try to do this tonight.