editing home screen icons?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

unplug

Oct 12, 2007
hey, i was just wondering how do u delete or rearrange some icons on the "home screen"
like stocks etc. i wanna keep them somewere don't really want to delete them.

hope sum1 understands me.

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
hey, i was just wondering how do u delete or rearrange some icons on the "home screen"
like stocks etc. i wanna keep them somewere don't really want to delete them.

hope sum1 understands me.
You can hide icons with customize, and re-arrange tem with rSBT (Now included with Customize).

As for removing Apps, you can go in and manually delete them via SSH (Deleting the folder under applications and that will remove them).

Don't worry they won't be gone forever. They will return upon m,anually putting back or next upgrade/restore.

Muti007

Nov 19, 2007
You can hide icons with customize, and re-arrange tem with rSBT (Now included with Customize).

As for removing Apps, you can go in and manually delete them via SSH (Deleting the folder under applications and that will remove them).

Don't worry they won't be gone forever. They will return upon m,anually putting back or next upgrade/restore.

Where is "customize"? I cant find that anywhere. Also, what is SSH? Sorry, Im very new to the iPhone but man am I in love with this thing!

Stevonw

Silver
Sep 14, 2007
UK
Where is "customize"? I cant find that anywhere. Also, what is SSH? Sorry, Im very new to the iPhone but man am I in love with this thing!
Have you jailbroken your iPhone yet?

You can access it via the Installer provided you have the community sources installed (this can be downloaded as soon as you have the installer on your phone) then wait for the sources to refresh, download and install customize! :D

SSH is a secure wireless transfer protocol (instead of using the likes of iBrickr ,iFuntastic etc for root access via USB). SSH basically lets you transfer and mod via wireless and also gives u access to the root of the phone.

Muti007

Nov 19, 2007

You can access it via the Installer provided you have the community sources installed (this can be downloaded as soon as you have the installer on your phone) then wait for the sources to refresh, download and install customize! :D

SSH is a secure wireless transfer protocol (instead of using the likes of iBrickr ,iFuntastic etc for root access via USB). SSH basically lets you transfer and mod via wireless and also gives u access to the root of the phone.

Im sorry, but I have no idea what it means to jailbreak a phone. Im assuming its a way to unlock the phone so you can change settings otherwise not meant to be changed? If so, can you please tell me how to do that?

Also, where do I get the installer? I assume this too has to be installed by me? What is community sources? Are these things free?

Sorry for so many questions, Im coming from WM world so this is all very new to me. Thanks again.

ajh051453

Dec 8, 2008
More info request

I too am extremely new to Apple/iPhone etc: I have no idea what you are explaining. I am not sure of what the community sources are let alone the rSBT is. Could you possibly either break down step by step the process or direct newbies to a link that would really show (For Idiots Only) proceedure. Thanks for your assistance in this matter.

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
ok, here is the deal. If you are wanting to just re-arrange the icons on the iPhone, just tap and hold on an icon. They will start to move a bit, with a little x next to them. You only need to hold down ANY icon for like 3-4 seconds to get into this mode. Then you simple hold and drag any icon you want, from page to page, so that way you can have all the apps you use a lot on one page. You can also move the icons from the dock to whatever you want.

NOTE *** BEFORE you are able to SSH into your phone, you NEED to jailbreak. just seacrh google for quickpwn or pwnage for the 2.2 firmware. the steps are there on the program itself, so it is super super easy!

once jailbroken, then follow the next step. you will have to download the OpenSSH file from Cydia.

SSh is a way to get into the system files of the phone itself via Winscp (PC) or cyberduck, transmission (OSX).
All are free.

To SSH, you WILL NEED to JAILBREAK your phone. I only use QUickpwn, as it works way better than PWNAGE. I believe Quickpwn is for both mac and pc, and pwnage is only mac...

here are some video links on youtube that i have personally spend time finding and they are varified to work by me:)

video on how to ssh. this method is the same for BOTH windows and OSX, it just happens to be for windows (as i didn't have my mac when i first got my iPhone:( )

any questions let me know. hope this helps

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Actually I think the guys just wanted to be able to move there icons around. You do this by pushing and holding one of them until they start wiggling and then you just drag them where you want them to go. LOL. These guys are all lost as hell!

HBOC

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Actually I think the guys just wanted to be able to move there icons around. You do this by pushing and holding one of them until they start wiggling and then you just drag them where you want them to go. LOL. These guys are all lost as hell!

re-read the first part of my post. its all in there!

arnold

Dec 20, 2008

I have the sa,e question - how do I rearrange the app icons on my 3G phone? Your reply is too technical for me. where do I find the installer and community sources?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I have the sa,e question - how do I rearrange the app icons on my 3G phone? Your reply is too technical for me. where do I find the installer and community sources?
Don't use the first few posts in this thread as a resource for information - they are from November or 2007. Installer is hardly used anymore - it has been replace by Cydia.

To rearrange icons - this can even be done without jailbreaking your phone - just hold one and they will start wiggling. Then you can move them. When you're done, tap the home button.