Editing photos on an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by psylichon, Mar 8, 2012.

1. psylichon

psylichon Genius

So I'm getting my first iPad soon and I'm figuring out all the ways it will incorporate into my tech world. I'd love to do some of our photo editing and management chores with it, but from everything I can tell the new iPhoto app will only work on local photos on the device itself. This is pretty limiting because I pull photos from many sources, not just iOS devices.

I'm looking for a photo management and editing app for iOS that can access and change the library on my desktop. I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm a PC guy. Is there a solution available for this yet?

2. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I was understanding that it would work with outside photos. In the keynote the presenter showed pics he'd takes with a DSLR camera. I recall it would edit up to a 19-megapixel photo.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

3. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

iPhoto for iOS can do the trick. /the ambien is kicking in, so I'll be brief. You can connect or beam over photos from an iPhone, or use the camera connection kit to upload picos from your DSLR or whatever camera you have. I iPad (3) can handle photos up to 12 MP in size, or was it 19? Anyway, there are so many things you can do with all that. It's rather impressive. Watch the keynote and skip to the part about editing shots taken with third party cameras. My ambien-warped vision is starting to inhibit my sensibilities right now. So the force be with you.

4. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

I've been playing with iPhoto a little and I think it's quite good. Having said that, there are lots and lots of great apps for photo editing on the iPad. We're really spoiled for choice in this area. Just to name a few favorites: Photo Toaster, Photogene, Photoshop Touch, 100 Cameras in 1.

If the issue is accessing the photos on your Windows PC, good solutions include the Camera Connection Kit, Dropbox, and LogMeIn Ignition, which allows you to copy and paste files from remote PC directly to iPad, and vice-versa.

5. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Dave, I can't wait ti use these new features! They are very impressive. I can hardly see to type now, as the Sandman is being a rather insistive little turd right now and there are crazy things popping around all over me,

6. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I'm telling you, Dave, give iPhoto a try. Manuy cool editing stuff. In my thickening haze induced by ambien, ill try to you some cool stuff.

7. psylichon

psylichon Genius

lol Jack!

8. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

My spelling and grammar have suffered whilst under the spell of the evil sleep aide.

9. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I appreciate the effort.

So I keep my 250GB photo library on my desktop server organized by year/month/event. Can I browse my folder structure as it appears on my desktop, pick a photo and edit it? Or do I need to pull entire folders onto the iPad before I can browse and edit them?

10. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

I like the iPhoto, PhotoShop Touch and SnapSeed combination.

11. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

If I'm understanding your mission correctly, LogMeIn Ignition is going to be the best tool. It will let you remote access your PC, browse your file structure however you like, and copy and paste files between iPad and PC in both directions. So you could copy a file across to the iPad, use whichever photo editing app/s you like and then copy the edited version back over to the PC.

Or for a less expensive option, use Dropbox as the middleman.

12. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I think I already have LogMeIn... not sure if it's "Ignition"... got it when it went free one day and haven't touched it because I'm already set up for TeamViewer. I'll check it out.