EIC IRC. Come join us in the chat room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
IRC, standing for Internet Relay Chat, is a means of communicating in real-time online. There are several websites that host servers on which you can create and register rooms.

We have registered a room on Esper.net. There are several ways to connect, all listed below. The room's name is #EIC - once you have joined the EsperNet server (which is irc.esper.net), just type /join #EIC.

On your computer:

• My recommendation is to use a downloaded IRC client. These are desktop applications that are much more powerful than online clients. For a Mac, use Colloquy and for a PC, use mIRC.

• You can use Esper's online Java client. While it is not as powerful as desktop clients, it is still stable and easy to use. Just click the link, type /join #EIC, and hit enter.

On your iPhone:

• There are several IRC clients available in the AppStore. I recommend either Colloquy ($1.99) or Rooms ($1.99).

Please Note: The IRC room is not run by EverythingiCafe and the site is not responsible for any comments, langauge, or anything else that occurs in the chat.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Edit: There is a website called Mibbit that offers a very nice alternative to Espernet's Java client.... and it works pretty well on the iPhone, too. It's definitely the easiest way to logon for a quick chat from your phone:

http://mibbit.com
Esper.net

Don't bother with the channel because it won't autojoin you anyway. Just pick a nickname and hit "go".... you will see the new server tab appear at the top. Click there, and when it's finished logging on, type

/j #eic

This will make an eic channel tab along the top... click there and you're in.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
***Updated Jailbreak IRC client instructions***

1. Download ColloQ from installer. This is a modified version of Colloquy. Colloquy works and is nice, but ColloQ has added features (such as the ability to do actions like "/me winks") and is more stable.

2. Add a connection:

Host name: irc.esper.net
Port: 6667
Uses SSL: off
Nickname: (choose your mobile nick. I use psylichon-mobile)
Password: (only applies if you use Nickserv... another FAQ)
Alternates: pick an alternate nickname in case you get disconnected (which happens often on mobile)... you will reconnect with this name until your "ghost" drops from the system.
"connect at launch": on
"join rooms": #eic

That's all you need. Once you connect, click on the #eic channel that pops up and you're in. The button on the top will tell you who's in the room. If it doesn't work, go back using the top left button, then back into the #eic channel. The user button will work then (it's a bug).

One more thing.

3. Download "Insomnia" from installer and run it when using ColloQ. It will help maintain your connection so you don't disconnect as often. It's not perfect, but it really helps.

Other than that it's easy sailing! See you on there.

ratstarwars

Bronze
Jun 8, 2008
Hello hello peoples.
I feel like a heel for bailing on eic for almost a year hehe. Got my iPhone last year...did a little more celebrating here then I kinda bailed out....exept for the occasional check up about updates. bookmarking this room as we speak
Rats

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Hello hello peoples.
I feel like a heel for bailing on eic for almost a year hehe. Got my iPhone last year...did a little more celebrating here then I kinda bailed out....exept for the occasional check up about updates. bookmarking this room as we speak
Rats
Welcome to the forums. I hope to see you in the room soon.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
IRC, standing for Internet Relay Chat, is a means of communicating in real-time online. There are several websites that host servers on which you can create and register rooms.

We have registered a room on Esper.net. To visit the room, click this link, wait for the page to load, and in the box that appears, type /join #EIC and hit Enter.

You can also use IRC clients for your computer to connect. If you're using Windows, you can use mIRC, and if you're using a Mac, you can use Colloquy. The IRC server is irc.esper.net.
The colloquy looks better than the first thing I used. I am so old. I am not knowledgeable about chat rooms.

memnautikus

Bronze
Nov 6, 2007
thomasville ga
jailbreak

what's the point of jailbreaking the iPhone. what are the advantages? I need to know. Thank u. I keep hearing its awesome. Do u need a Mac or any computer is ok?

themanofthedark is here.

- Long Haired Girly Boy[/QUOTE]

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
what's the point of jailbreaking the iPhone. what are the advantages? I need to know. Thank u. I keep hearing its awesome. Do u need a Mac or any computer is ok?

themanofthedark is here.

- Long Haired Girly Boy
This is the wrong place to post that question, but I'll answer it anyway.

The point of jailbreaking is to allow the iPhone to run third party applications. Jailbreaking is not supported by Apple in any way and can be risky. You do not need a Mac to do it. However, in a few weeks Apple will release the AppStore which will do the exact some thing as jailbreaking, but do it much more safely. Therefore, I suggest you do not jailbreak.

- John

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I got tired of being one of the pawns for the "I'm a channel operator, watch me kick everyone out" power demonstrations, so I'll stick to the forum.
Man don't be like that. I enjoyed having another camper in there. John doesn't hang out long :sick:

He was not powertripping. He just didn't understand why you were idle. I'm pretty sure he won't do that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.