EiC Layout

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
Hello,

I like the layout of the forum, but one thing I hate is everything is centralized in one small block. Look at this picture if you don't get what I mean. Also, usernames which are big push the width of the line if you get what I mean. Look at Napoleons posts, see all that extra space it's used? That needs fixing.

Neo-Tech.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I agree. The fixed text-area width is a real bummer on today's prevalent widescreens. Talk to the big guy. :)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I saw the pic, but still don't quite understand the point you are trying to make. Maybe expand on it a little bit?

--
Mike

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
The column width of the forums is only about the middle 1/3 of the screen on a widescreen monitor, making for lots of wasted space and too much scrolling. It should fill up whatever resolution/aspect ratio you're using like most forums do.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Well if that's the reason then I don't agree. Most forums I visit actually don't do this.

I don't see the value in reading very long lines of horizantal text. I was taught that shorter text widths are much easier for reading, from a graphic design and usability standpoint.

--
Mike

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Well if that's the reason then I don't agree. Most forums I visit actually don't do this.

I don't see the value in reading very long lines of horizantal text. I was taught that shorter text widths are much easier for reading, from a graphic design and usability standpoint.

--
Mike
I agree with this. I used to think I preferred 'fluid-width' (think that's the term) themes but really don't - for the same reasons you've stated.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

--
Mike
Very good point!

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I agree with this. I used to think I preferred 'fluid-width' (think that's the term) themes but really don't - for the same reasons you've stated.
Yep, that's the right term. I agree also, I like the fixed width. However, I think the width could definitely be increased to maybe in the 950-1000 pixel range and expand the poster statistics box, and increase the actual comment box by a bit. This way you'll definitely fill more space, but not so much space that its a train-track of text across the screen.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Hmmm.... I could fill that space with ads?:sneaky:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
How about you just close this thread and forget it ever existed? ;)

--
Mike

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I would simply recommend that you not maximize your window. I have a rather large monitor and prefer fixed width here and elsewhere.

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
So it's gonna remain fixed width? That's a bummer tbh, I'd rather use more of my screen than have everything squished in one corner lol.

And sorry Napoleon :p It's just yours is the longest username lol

Neo-Tech

Bronze
Oct 24, 2008
Okay, I thought of another idea. Could we have another theme? Just make it so it fits widescreens and call the theme "iCafe Clean (Widescreen)". I'm sure lots of people would use it. Pleeeeease Chris? :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Okay, I thought of another idea. Could we have another theme? Just make it so it fits widescreens and call the theme "iCafe Clean (Widescreen)". I'm sure lots of people would use it. Pleeeeease Chris? :)
Lol, you're still fighting for it even after Tinmans' post!?
Nobody else seems to want it. Let it go...

ct2k7

Bronze
Jul 7, 2009
just my 2C, having a fixed vs fluid layout concentrates the user attn on the text and content on the page. I usually have fixed set up as default on my forums for this very reason.