Elderly iPhone users

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 16, 2007
So I just purchased and set up two iPhones for elderly clients of mine (I'm helping the husband (age 80) learn to use computers (specifically the new MacBook Pro I got him) and so I'm looking for any suggestions for configuration settings that would make the iPhone easier for an elderly person to use it.
Thanks!

bo7e1se

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Coal City, IL
www.myspace.com
So I just purchased and set up two iPhones for elderly clients of mine (I'm helping the husband (age 80) learn to use computers (specifically the new MacBook Pro I got him) and so I'm looking for any suggestions for configuration settings that would make the iPhone easier for an elderly person to use it.
Thanks!
ok... try to find a way to make it only a phone, and glue some buttons to it. there ya go, best advice you'll get haha

JPizzzle

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I would try setting aside a certain amount of time per feature rather than take on the whole phone at once. Spend say 2 days-a week on just the phone feature. I would start with the basic like the phone for the first lesson covering answering, calling, and checking voicemail. Move on from there to what other feature he/she would use the most. Let them learn by using it not by watching you. Call them to show them how to answer the phone etc. Hope this helps!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Best of luck to you. They should be able to handle the phone features pretty well, but getting them to understand the iTunes procedures will something else altogether.

Jul 16, 2007
Misguided

ok... try to find a way to make it only a phone, and glue some buttons to it. there ya go, best advice you'll get haha
The phone is more than appropriate for elderly people because of its exceptional UI and great display. I don't expect them to use the iTunes features much (if at all) and probably not the web browser either (this is probably sounding like heresy at the moment), but just having a phone with an easy to use UI, easy to manage calendar, email, and contacts is worth the cost (especially when the user has a lot of cash).

jvanlee1

Jul 17, 2007
Elderly iPod users.

The phone is more than appropriate for elderly people because of its exceptional UI and great display. I don't expect them to use the iTunes features much (if at all) and probably not the web browser either (this is probably sounding like heresy at the moment), but just having a phone with an easy to use UI, easy to manage calendar, email, and contacts is worth the cost (especially when the user has a lot of cash).
My 83yo mother has told me her 30g video iPod was the best gift she has ever received. I put her favorite CD's on it, got her some Altec-Lansing speakers and hooked up a dock and s-video cable to her TV for videos. Now she has learned how to explore the iPod to find music she hasn't listened to in years.

However, even though she has a cell phone, it stays OFF in her purse solely to call AAA. Doesn't see the need to keep in constant touch.

I've been thinking that the iPhone is more for the senior citizen set than the younguns. In particular the Photo Album feature for showing photos of their grandkids, the iPod for listening to the oldies tunes (although the definition of "oldies tunes" is changing. I've showed my iPhone to several senior citizens (who have the money to buy one too) and they love it and pick up on using the features right away.

Another interesting thing is my parents (who both recently retired) are usually the ones who complain about spending money on things like this but when I showed them a lot of the features they didn't even bring up the money issue.

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I would definitely recommend a protective case, like "incase". My memories of my parents and in-laws (who have all passed away, now), are that things slip from their fingers. I would imagine the rubber-like material in the incase case would protect the iPhone if dropped on a table.

Well I'm 41 but still I'm considered a "youngun" by a lot of people. I've always been a bit of a fumble fingers (think Kramer from Seinfeld) and I recommend a rubberish case for most people even though the device is suppose to be quite durable. I even have a clear plastic cover on my MacBook Pro from Speck Products.

I know I don't sound like a design freak when I say this but I wish Apple would at least provide the option of making their products with more rugged exteriors.

Someone was asking me to recommend a notebook to take to a third world country and I had a hard time recommending an Apple because of issues like travel bumping, dust, sand, etc. I think it's Panasonic that has the "toughbook" line.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I have the opinion that the iPhone was made for ease of use, myself. For some reason, people hear that it's "expensive" and assume "uber-technical".
I've tried to let multiple people play with it, and they've turned me down because they were afraid they would mess something up. lol
I try so hard to explain to them, that it's quite the opposite. You can't "mess anything up", and it's extremely easy to navigate.

vivlund

Jan 30, 2010
Good iPhone protection for elderly

Hi,
My mom knocked my iPhone off a table and the case cracked. We went to the Apple Store, and they recommended the Otter Box. http://www.otterbox.com/

So far, it has provided good protection for our phones.

I am hoping that if I get an iPod Touch for my mom, she will be able to understand how to get mail and use the Walgreen's App to refill her prescriptions. If I can't teach her how to use it, I will just give it to my 7 and 10 year old, who already know how to use my iPhone with no directions from me! ;)

IvorTheIpod

Bronze
Dec 22, 2009
I would definitely recommend a protective case, like "incase". My memories of my parents and in-laws (who have all passed away, now), are that things slip from their fingers. I would imagine the rubber-like material in the incase case would protect the iPhone if dropped on a table.
If your talking about the incase slider case, I would not recommend this for dropping protection. It is more for great everyday protection. I have the incase slider case myself, and I definitely wouldn't feel happy dropping it, I nearly died of shock dropping it 5 cm. It just doesn't seem like the kind of case to protect from full dropping onto hard substances.
You need something like the speck candy shell, it has a hard outer casing to protect from wear and tear ( the usual stuff ) and then silicone on the inside to absorb shock from dropping and the like. However if your looking for full all round protection, otterbox all the way ! :D haha Theres no way you can break your iPhone once its in one of these babies :)

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'll 3rd the recommendation on the Speck Candyshell. It doesn't add much bulk, but sure offers a lot of "drop" protection. I've only had mine for 10 days and already dropped my phone twice, both times from about 1-2 feet, and the case absorbed the hit on the ground/table very well.

Ivor, good to see you back for a visit. Why don't you hang around awhile this time :)