Element Silver Sector 5 Pix

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The carbon fiber Sector 5 comes with a lot of extras including this nice carrying case that would easily cost $25 if sold alone. I tested it out tonight and really like it. It doesn't tend to flop around as much as a camera case since it's so slim.

1.jpg

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
I hate to admit it, but I have purchased an ebay version - not because I want the admitted coolness of the real thing - and I do believe they are cool, rather, I do want a metal bumper - and have not found one yet that does not reduce the wifi or reception (admittedly, I only tried one). It killed my wifi made it intermittant and my ipad same location had no issues.

Anyway, I am trying this new ebay version (eg fake) in hopes that the connectors which are not metal will not impede the phones capabilites - it's an experiment mostly - to be honest. That said it also comes with a case - so I am wondering if using that case will be an improvement over pocketing the phone while running or mowing the lawn - for bluetooth - as you may recall - I had lot's of bluetooth issues with my motorla (whatever they are) headphones and my iPhone 4, I do wonder how the 5 will compare in same usage.

Anyway, thanks for the review and information on this case - it has grown on me over time - but I cannot justify the cost of a real one - I have 1 case, a speck flip - too bulky, have been caseless for about 2 months, decided to try the one metal, it was great sizewise - similar but not copy of the original sector for the 4, no go. So, after another month, I looked and found (though I was not looking for fakes) the one I am testing out - it may arrive as soon as today.

Maybe one day - if they got pricing to around $70 I could see myself getting a real one.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I hate to admit it, but I have purchased an ebay version - not because I want the admitted coolness of the real thing - and I do believe they are cool, rather, I do want a metal bumper - and have not found one yet that does not reduce the wifi or reception (admittedly, I only tried one). It killed my wifi made it intermittant and my ipad same location had no issues.

Anyway, I am trying this new ebay version (eg fake) in hopes that the connectors which are not metal will not impede the phones capabilites - it's an experiment mostly - to be honest. That said it also comes with a case - so I am wondering if using that case will be an improvement over pocketing the phone while running or mowing the lawn - for bluetooth - as you may recall - I had lot's of bluetooth issues with my motorla (whatever they are) headphones and my iPhone 4, I do wonder how the 5 will compare in same usage.

Anyway, thanks for the review and information on this case - it has grown on me over time - but I cannot justify the cost of a real one - I have 1 case, a speck flip - too bulky, have been caseless for about 2 months, decided to try the one metal, it was great sizewise - similar but not copy of the original sector for the 4, no go. So, after another month, I looked and found (though I was not looking for fakes) the one I am testing out - it may arrive as soon as today.

Maybe one day - if they got pricing to around $70 I could see myself getting a real one.
The authentic Element cases haven't degraded the signal since the 2010 versions.

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
I know - and I agree - and the one I had on my iPhone 4 (it was fake too - did not learn of this until selling the old phone - by the way), it had the nylon part (or whatever it was) and it too did not degrade the signal.

To be honest, this is more test than need - I just prefer the metal bumper - but not at the currect price point, I've got kids, and other bills and simply put other things that I need to spend money on, vice want to spend money on - this is not a value judgment to others - rather, it's an understanding of my own wants versus needs - I admire those who won't compromise or whatever else - even I happen to disagree.

Anyway, thanks again, on another note, I simply don't understand the counterfitting biz. I have seen cheap cases that were made even cheaper with fakes. And those fakes were sold for crazy low prices - considering the packaging and everything else, it really makes me wonder how they counterfitters make money. Because the iPhone 4 case I had, I had believed was real, the packaging, the case everything was about as real as it could be. I obviously overpaid, but this new one - $23 shipped - and it appears (from photos) to be about as close to the real thing as possible.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Yeah was checking out the "Design Studio" on the Element Case site. Pretty col.

So tempted to build one...

Mindi's looks great!

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
Ok, purchased a fake, $23.07 shipped, ebay auction - I was on the fence, and frankly, surprised I won with such a low bid, as many were selling, the previous week for about $60 with some regularity.

Fit - tight as a drum - excellent. And like was said in the review of the real thing it's so light you almost don't know it's there. That said, the edges are sharper than most cases I have had. The edge chafing material, I used the silver on my black phone, to see how it looked, fits fine, a slight, maybe 1/2 mm overlap from the actual size of the phone - does not cause any problem, but around the volume buttons it does bubble very slightly, only something the owner would notice. The packaging - the images are slightly faded - but that could just be my old eyes. The box is magnetic closure. I did not use the screen protector - I don't like them. I tried to install the back plate/fur thing. it was about 1 and 1/2mm to long - was I supposed to install it before the bumper? I may remove a slight bit of it and see what happens.

Other stuff in the box, the carrying case, a second set of scratch guards, a thicker plastic thing for sticking the back thing on when not in use, the screwdriver (hex head) - which was much cheaper than the one that came with the fake (again, not known at the time) iPhone 4 case. Also there were more pads/extra pads. And 2 extra screws, and instructions for the case and the side guards. I do wonder what bad things happen if I don't use the guards at all?

I am not as excited about the case as I had hoped to be (even though I knew it was fake). I guess I wanted it to be more bumper like - which in my mind the 4 version seemed to be.

The case is fine for what I paid, I don't condone nor suggest the use of counterfit stuffs - though to my knowledge it's not illegal to buy it, rather only to sell it. As I said before - if I had the extra cash, a real one would be fine, the main reason I purchased this item was it's the only metal bumper I have seen that did not adversely affect the signal. I purchased a even cheaper one from China - not a knock off, just a metal bumper, it looked nicer (to me), moer like the 4 - more solid parts, BUT, it degraded the signal - killed the wifi, and the cheapo allen wrench supplied with it stripped in seconds - had to get a good one from the tool kit.

I may resume going caseless, or return to the speck flip - which is just bulky.
Such is life.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
jaw2k9 said:
Just keep in mind that if it does impact the signal, it's because it's not authentic. I have several authenticate Element cases for the 4S and 5 and none of them degrade the signal. The only one I've had that did was the first version of the COMP back in the iPhone 4 days, and I tossed it out years ago.

The backplates can be installed after the bumper. The carbon fiber one in my pic above was placed after the case itself. I've already removed it because I don't like backplates. The newer ones (design studio case) come with removable/optional inserts in addition to the rash guards.

Not using the rash guards might result in scratches on the flat sides of the side panels (the beveled edges would be okay), but I think it's unlikely since the inside of the case is padded in some areas, which results in it not directly touching the aluminum.

My only complaint about this case is that the edges aren't more smooth and rounded like the Vapor Comp. I think Element wanted to get away from that smoothness this time around and go with a more bold, industrial look.

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
Absolutely understand, and expected that - re:signal degradation. The fake 4 had none - as they (whoever made it) used a nylon or whatever the material was just as Element did - once they discovered the issue. The new case is actually great, it's wider than necessary since the sides are all cut out (or so it seems), and like you, I don't care for the sharper edges, but no signal loss that I have noticed.

I am really torn as to the fakes versus the real thing, I don't condone it, but certainly don't hold anyone else to a higher standard either - I would surely prefer the real deal, and would have gladly paid for one, but the present pricing is just way out of my comfort zone. At about $75ish, I'm in,

Anyway, so far so good, but I wonder if I will tire of this one as I did the speck flip - which was simply too bulky for me.

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
Cool, the 3-pack of LuckyLabs Spectra Wraps doesn't have to be the same color. I'm going to order these ones:
View attachment 27356
I went Burgandy, Gold, Red.

I removed the silver things that came with my fake case, and now it's slightly loose. I was going to put the black ones on, but if they have issues adhereing, I'd be back to square one, so I am trying these first.

And (supposedly) today only 40% off with a code found on their site!