Element Vapor case kills 99% of cellular signal - tested in anechoic chamber

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
This post/video went up today over at GearLive:

I was very tempted to get this case (I think it's a stunning case) and I'm now glad I didn't. The last thing I need is more trouble with my iPhone 4's ability to maintain its cellular connection!

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I actually made up my mind and posted my opinion a few days ago against getting this "apparent" POS.
It all started with just not being able to get something I had convinced myself I really wanted, but then having the time to really read up on everyone else's opinions. I think the bottom line is it is just plain stupid to pay 25% as much as I paid for the phone for a case that looks really really good, but actually hinders the operation of the phone. Most people are looking for the opposite, something that might help the reception and might protect at the same time. I'd say from everything I've read and not just from this youtube posting, the Vapor4 may just go down in history alongside the Edsel.
I know there are plenty of people that say that the reception problem isn't true, but it's starting to look like the evidence points to a different conclusion.

techstorm

Bronze
Jun 26, 2010
Thanks for the informative post. Have any of you heard about the similar case being produced by Atomic Industries?

www.atomiciPhonecase.com

Their case is almost identical, but I haven't seen a review from an actual user, yet.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

jpeyatt

Bronze
Nov 25, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks for the informative post. Have any of you heard about the similar case being produced by Atomic Industries?

www.atomiciPhonecase.com

Their case is almost identical, but I haven't seen a review from an actual user, yet.

I spoke to them today, and ordered a case. Their design is different than the vapor case.. I will make a review when I receive the case..

techstorm

Bronze
Jun 26, 2010
That would be great! I will look forward to your review.

tobey

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
With my Element case I lost (in some places) 1 bar of service. In other places the signal was unchanged. I did not have a problem with Wi-Fi or GPS signal either, although I can't tell how much those signal were affected... I just know they still worked. I surely didn't experience a 99% signal loss, which seems very extreme to me. If that were the case across the board it seems like we would have heard outcries long ago.

I should be receiving my Atomic case any day now - I will be sure to do a review and a comparison of the two cases. While the exterior design of the case looks nearly identical to the Element, the interior (where it meets the phone) sounds like it's quite different. It will be interesting to compare...

techstorm

Bronze
Jun 26, 2010
I also read the same thing, about the Atomic Industries case. It also seems as though they are a bit more prepared to supply the case much more efficiently. Really glad to see that at least a few people here have ordered and are willing to post reviews. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that we aren't waiting on another disappointment.

tobey

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Hey Atomic replies to emails... that's way more than we can say for Element! Might not be the deciding factor, but it's a start.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
Hey Atomic replies to emails... that's way more than we can say for Element! Might not be the deciding factor, but it's a start.
I wouldn't think answering emails would be the deciding factor, but it is a refreshing change. Not killing a bunch of people helps too .

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
99%? I don't buy into that. I still have 5 bars with my Vapor 4.:)

vb5mark

Jan 1, 2009
I just received my atomic iPhone 4 case and wanted to let you guys know it renders my phone unusable when i put it on. Cant hold 1 bar on edge for more than a minute or two. Going back to my Apple bumper, hope some of you guys have better luck.