Elminate Process running on computer

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Anyone know what exactly some of these process are? Can I get rid of any of them?

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I really recommend steering away from killing processes that you're not 100% sure what they are. Especially if you don't know much about UNIX. Many are background processes and some are critical for Mac OS X to function properly. My recommendation is to do a man page on each system process to see what it does, and then kill it to see what happens. Mac OS X's memory model handles background processes very well; thereforee the need to kill processes is normally not necessary, unless there is a huge memory leak and it's wearing down available resources.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
I really recommend steering away from killing processes that you're not 100% sure what they are. Especially if you don't know much about UNIX. Many are background processes and some are critical for Mac OS X to function properly. My recommendation is to do a man page on each system process to see what it does, and then kill it to see what happens. Mac OS X's memory model handles background processes very well; thereforee the need to kill processes is normally not necessary, unless there is a huge memory leak and it's wearing down available resources.
yes I know that I don't want to kill critical processes which is why I was asking. But my main concern is that my computer gets REALLY hot on my lap, way more than it ever did before! I do not know what the reason is, I am not running any applications that take up a lot of memory. Just Mail, iCal, and Safari. I just noticed that within 5 minutes my battery gauge was at 50% now at 27% :(

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
yes I know that I don't want to kill critical processes which is why I was asking. But my main concern is that my computer gets REALLY hot on my lap, way more than it ever did before! I do not know what the reason is, I am not running any applications that take up a lot of memory. Just Mail, iCal, and Safari. I just noticed that within 5 minutes my battery gauge was at 50% now at 27% :(
If you click on the battery, is it set for "Better Energy Savings" or "Better Performance"?

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
If you click on the battery, is it set for "Better Energy Savings" or "Better Performance"?
Yeah, that's more of a hardware issue than a software issue.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
When I have it not plugged it in is on better battery life, and when it is plugged in it is set to normal. MY battery on my MBP maybe lasts an hour and a half and really starting to irritate me. I have to stop using my computer because it is so hot.
Is there anyway to figure out why it is so hot? Here is a screenie of a widget I have. Does anything look out of whack?

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I think you have a bad battery. MBPs run hot. Mine was way hot when I had it. One of the reasons I went to the MacBook--runs much cooler.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
how old is your computer? I think an hour and a half is about average for a battery with 200+ cycles... but i thought your mac was new... if so, it should NOT have that many charge cycles.

and processes like the ones in your activity monitor aren't doing much that will heat your computer up. Residing in memory doesn't require much work. Processes with large numbers in the "CPU" column are the ones to worry about when it comes to heat.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
My computer is approaching 2 years old in March. I have about 215 cycles on it.

I did talk with Apple just cause I really like their customer service and wanted to see what they had to say. He said, from what I told him, it sounds like there are two problems, computer getting to hot and the power only being able to last about 1.5 hours. He gave me two remedies to try and use which I did, but I will come back with the results after a few cycles. he told me to "reset parameters" (?) While the computer is off press and hold Command + Option + R, then while STILL holding the three buttons, press Power, and now push the P key while still holding all the other keys. I am not sure what exactly this did.
He also told me to reset the "Power Management System" which I forget the exact keystrokes and process, but involved taking out the battery out of computer disconnecting from power source and holding the power button on the computer. then letting the battery completly wear itself down on its own, then charge it back up to 100%.

If this does not work, then take it to Apple certified technicians.

Bronze
Apr 9, 2008
colorado
any idea's on dell vostro-xp high processes are

running at 41 in the task managers area?

i think this is pretty high

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Well he mentioned it getting really hot on his lap. That could help.
That always happens when you are using a MacBook on battery power, or if the battery is not full and you are charging it while working on it. So it's normal.

As for the processes, I'd rather not mess with them because they all seem to be system ones. Except for iTunes, iCal, Safari, and the other ones that you listed here. Actually I realized that setting it to Better Performance, Power Saver, etc. doesn't really matter, but maybe that's just me.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
any idea's on dell vostro-xp high processes are

running at 41 in the task managers area?

i think this is pretty high
41 isn't out of the ordinary... it depends more on what those processes are.