Email downloads

bigsam

Mar 5, 2008
Hi,

A new user here, just wondering, when i set up my pop account, will the iPhone download all the messages with the contents(even if it's 10MB)? or will it download it partialy and i will have the option to retrieve the rest?

thanks.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
The iPhone only downloads the contents.. not the current messages. After you set up your e-mail on the phone, you can start receiving messages. However, it does not sync the current messages you have on your computer/mail account.

Deke736

Bronze
Jul 24, 2008
Near St. Louis, MO
Actually, it will download any messages that are still on your POP mail server, even if they are already on your computer. The only messages that won't download are ones that have been deleted from the POP server. I get my emails from my home account delivered to my phone, but I selected the option not to delete them from the server so I can still download them onto my PC. Once they are on my PC they get deleted from the POP mail server.

With Microsoft Exchange emails, it will download any emails still on the main server that have not been deleted from your inbox.

Regarding attachments, it will download the entire email message and then give you the option to download and view any attachments within each individual email.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
Oh. With my email it did not download the previous emails.

bigsam

Mar 5, 2008
I downloaded an email with a 400k attachment and it got the whole thing....isn't it suppose to ask u whether u want to download the attachment?

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
I don't think that feature is available, no.

bigsam

Mar 5, 2008
ok so i received an email a couple of minutes back....at the buttom, it asked me if i wanted to download the rest of the content....so how is this possible? i mean some emails it asks u if u want to download and others no.......any ideas? or am i missing something?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Most of the time, it'll download a portion of it and then you have an option to download the whole thing :)

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
Mine doesn't do that.. maybe your email does have that kind of feature. Simple as that.

bigsam

Mar 5, 2008
so when u say most of the time......it depends on what?

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
this is my experience with gmail. It shows all of my messages in my inbox, but once I enter that message, if it's too big, it will let me know it's only partially downloaded and will have a in message button to press to download the rest.

As for my other boxes, like trash, it will only show what I've deleted from my phone, but does give me a button at the bottom to download "x more meaasage" and the it will show me e mails I've deleted from a computer or what not as well.

I hope this answers what I think you were asking!

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
How come Apple didn't make a way for a sort of popup when we delete the e-mail from the iPhone. I find it odd that it's either delete from server or the iPhone only. I would like the option to choose when I delete the e-mail.

I come from a BB and this is one feature I really miss.

KayH21

Aug 21, 2008
can you add attachments to send an email from an iPhone?