Email feature

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Somekid231

May 31, 2007
I was going to post this in the faq section - until I read that you have to post the answer too, which I don't know - which is why I'm asking.
Wow. Anyway:
Dioes anyone know how the iPhone will specifically work with email accounts? I know JObs said something about yahoo mail being included - that certainly cannot be the only email that the phone will auto receive (i.e. you do not have to direct the browser to check your mail).
I have an aol account, and I am hoping the iPhone will work like iMail - I can set it simply to check my account using all the correct imap settings and such.
Does anyone know any info about this?

-C

jtlax3

Bronze
May 31, 2007
That would be an awesome feature. I was wondering the same thing, but my guess would be that we will just have to wait less than a month to know for sure. That seems to be the standard answer to feature specific questions.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
If you watch the keynote (which I highly recommend) you will find that this is one of the questions that Steve answered. The iPhone will work with any mail server that supports IMAP or POP3. Almost every email account supports at least one of these. Some (like Yahoo) charge for the feature, but most offer it for free.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
If you watch the keynote (which I highly recommend) you will find that this is one of the questions that Steve answered. The iPhone will work with any mail server that supports IMAP or POP3. Almost every email account supports at least one of these. Some (like Yahoo) charge for the feature, but most offer it for free.
in the case of the iPhone, we'll all be getting a pay yahoo account free. from my memory of the keynote, the free yahoo account will offer free 'push' email, which is the best format. right?

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
in the case of the iPhone, we'll all be getting a pay yahoo account free. from my memory of the keynote, the free yahoo account will offer free 'push' email, which is the best format. right?
Yes, you are correct. Yahoo will be giving free push email to all iPhone owners.

Push email means that every time you receive an email it is immediately sent/pushed to your phone. The other option is for your phone to check your account every X minutes (called pull email). Push email is more power efficient since it only talks to the mail server when it has new email.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Yes, you are correct. Yahoo will be giving free push email to all iPhone owners.

Push email means that every time you receive an email it is immediately sent/pushed to your phone. The other option is for your phone to check your account every X minutes (called pull email). Push email is more power efficient since it only talks to the mail server when it has new email.
Do you think Yahoo will be the only way to get the Push Email feature? We won't be able to set up our normal pop3 account to push the email directly to our iPhones?

I don't really want to set up a new Yahoo Email address just to get push email.
:(

Somekid231

May 31, 2007

Ahhh. That is what the keynote was talking about. I just didn't know the lingo about the diference between push and pull. When he mentioned yahoo email sent directly to your phone - I was afraid that meant that all other accounts you would have to navigate your browser to check your email.
Save the power issue,:laugh2: (no pun intended) this seems all good to me.

-C

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Do you think Yahoo will be the only way to get the Push Email feature? We won't be able to set up our normal pop3 account to push the email directly to our iPhones?

I don't really want to set up a new Yahoo Email address just to get push email.
:(
I think, at least at first, Yahoo will be your only option for push email. I currently use gmail. My plan is to setup a Yahoo account for my iPhone and forward select email to my iPhone Yahoo account. Gmail makes it very easy to setup filters to forward only mail from specific people. I really don't want every email I receive going to my phone anyway.

I would guess that Google is already working on a way to get push email to the iPhone. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
I think, at least at first, Yahoo will be your only option for push email. I currently use gmail. My plan is to setup a Yahoo account for my iPhone and forward select email to my iPhone Yahoo account. Gmail makes it very easy to setup filters to forward only mail from specific people. I really don't want every email I receive going to my phone anyway.

I would guess that Google is already working on a way to get push email to the iPhone. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long.
i've been wondering about this. i have a work email (i'll have to figure out SOME way to get those to the iPhone), a regularly used hotmail account, and a rarely used yahoo account.

i was looking for a way to have my hotmail forwarded to my yahoo so that i can forward it onto my iPhone. also, does hotmail have a function like gmail where you can select only a few people to forward the email on? OR, would i need to forward my hotmail to gmail, filter it, send it to yahoo, and THEN have it forward to my iPhone? this seems pretty convoluted.

if anyone has any info on how to do that with hotmail, the info would be greatly appreciated.

lasquintanas

Bronze
May 21, 2007
i've been wondering about this. i have a work email (i'll have to figure out SOME way to get those to the iPhone), a regularly used hotmail account, and a rarely used yahoo account.

i was looking for a way to have my hotmail forwarded to my yahoo so that i can forward it onto my iPhone. also, does hotmail have a function like gmail where you can select only a few people to forward the email on? OR, would i need to forward my hotmail to gmail, filter it, send it to yahoo, and THEN have it forward to my iPhone? this seems pretty convoluted.

if anyone has any info on how to do that with hotmail, the info would be greatly appreciated.
I also have a very similar question. At work we use Outlook. Would there be a way to forward outlook to my yahoo push account? I'm email-tarded.