Email Folder on iPhone

1. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot Gold

I am trying to add folder's onto my iPhone's email and can't figure it out can someone point me in the right direction. Take this photo listed below for an example.
    [​IMG]

2. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot Bronze

The only way I know to add folders is to add them on your PC. I have 2 emails on my iPhone, Bellsouth and Yahoo. I cannot get folders on the BS account but when I go to Yahoo.com and add folders they sync to my iPhone. Another strange limitation!

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot Gold

I am using comcast mail and i've already tried this and cannot get it to work for some reason. Does this mean I can't add folders?

5. BrownGem

BrownGem Zealot Gold

Think the email account needs to be IMAP. IMAP accounts store the mail on the ISP server like Yahoo,Gmail, etc. There is an app called FolderBuddy that works with these IMAP accounts to set the folders up on the iPhone. Otherwise the folders can only be added on the computer and then synced. You only get the standard folders with POP accounts.

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator Moderator

You could always set up and new account with someone like gmail. You can set-up folders on that, it's quick and easy.

With your current email addy's you could set them to forward to your new address. You can set folders in your new gmail account to separate your emails so you know who they come from. It take a bit of messing to set-up. It also depends whether your current email provider supports email forwarding.

7. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot Gold

I have comcast and I like there mail service ive been with them for ages and don't really feel like changing anything. This is boo!

8. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot Gold

Does anyone know if comcast POP has email forwarding ?

9. Deerhead

Deerhead New Member

Imap and POP accounts--Comcast & Gmail

Hi,
    Please look at the attached screen shot. I have my Comcast account set up as a POP account BUT still cannot import 'Comcast Email Folders' on my new iPhone 3GS. However, I can/have imported the 'Gmail Email Folders' using the Gmail POP account. There must be something else beside POP account issues causing importing problems onto the iPhone.
    ie Gmail works fine Comcast doesn't?
    Not sure about IMAP because POP Gmail works, but notice on the screen shot my MSN account is IMAP and its email folders don't show up either.

Attached Files:

10. JamRWS6

JamRWS6 New Member

Just because it is setup in outlook as a pop account doesn't mean it is setup on your phone as a pop account. Check that. Pop protocol doesn't allow syncing of folders other than the standard folders, IMAP does.

If you are relying on your computer to sync to the phone rather than syncing the phone over the air this could explain why some folders appear if gmail is set to pop.

11. Deerhead

Deerhead New Member

POP and IMAP--how to tell on iPhone setup?

Thanks for the info. I know OUTLOOK shows the POP and IMAP account but how do you look it up on the iPhone 3GS? I see under advance my Gmail account that there is an IMAP Path Prefix! What's that?
    But under my Comcast account there is only Server Port 995?

12. JamRWS6

JamRWS6 New Member

The account settings are under Settings > Mail. You can see how it is configured in there. pop prefix is going to indicate likewise and imap.gmail.com is the gmail IMAP address.

You shouldn't need to mess w/ ports to get it going. Remember that imap does have to be enabled on your Gmail account settings.

13. Deerhead

Deerhead New Member

Thanks for the help. But if the Gmail account ie POP account, allows me to have email folders on my iPhone, why won't the Comcast account as configured with POP allow for email folders?
    Are you saying to delete my iPhone Comcast account and reinstall it using what incomming and outgoing server setups, ie mail.comcast.net and stmp.comcast.net what would I change these setups to? imap.comcast.net and stmp.comcast.net? any more detailed information would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Robert

14. garykirsten63

garykirsten63 New Member

I have taken a look to the pic Deerhead attached. This seems similar to my phone except some things. I am also confused about IMAP Path.

15. Deerhead

Deerhead New Member

Gary,
    Can you populate iPhone contact 'groups' using either POP or IMAP set ups? Have you populated any iPhone contact 'groups' except the 'all contacts' group?
    Thanks,
    Robert

16. Deerhead

Deerhead New Member

iPhone and OUTLOOK 2007 Contacts Individual and Groups

The goal--to send one email to multiple people using the iPhone Contact Group.

First screen shot shows an OUTLOOK 'GROUP' I call it a group because that word 'group', is what OUTLOOK labeled it. Look at the Business Card and note MY 'Rider's Group' name/labeling of the data and then note the word 'group' underneath my labeling. OUTLOOK created the word 'group' underneath my name of the businesss card. However, the first confusing this for me is the way you create this businesss card is by File/New/Distribution List! So, in the menu drop downs the data folder is called a 'distribution list' but when it is created OUTLOOK automatically names it a 'group'?
    The screen shot also shows the type of data contained in the businesss card i.e. the names and email address within the 'group'/distribution list.

Recap: File/New/Distribution List creates a folder that OUTLOOK then calls a Group! This 'group' folder can have multiple names and email addresses.

The second screen shot-sorry to confuse everybody but I switched 'groups'/distribution list to Navy- regardless, you can see two businesss cards in the Navy folder. The first is labeled Navy and contains multiple names and email addresses and second is an individual's contact data.

When I sync my iPhone 3GS the only data that populates the Navy folder is the individual’s i.e. not the 'Navy group'!

Recap: My OUTLOOK contact folders (Rider's Group/Navy, etc.) as shown in my screen shot will sync with my iPhone BUT only individuals no groups/distribution lists.

The question remains, is there a way to sync multiple data, names, etc. within an iPhone 3GS Contact Groups?

This is about as far my abilities go and I'm going in circles, any help would be most appreciated. I have called APPLE and they say it is an OUTLOOK issue and called OUTLOOK and they say it is an APPLE issue. Right now, I had rather eat the fish than know how to catch it.

Robert

17. Deerhead

Deerhead New Member

screen shots

Attached Files:

18. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot Gold

Wow! This thread resurrected from the dead.

19. Deerhead

Deerhead New Member

Do you know the answer?

20. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot Gold

Do I know the answer to what? Ask me your question.

21. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot Bronze

CJ he needs the answer to post #15.