Email Issues with iPhone 2.0

ZeroG

Aug 19, 2007
I upgraded to iPhone 2.0 a day or so before the official 3g release, and the past coulple of days I have been noticing an issue where my email via POP, & IMAP. For some reason the emails is not getting updated on the phone either automatically or manually.

Example: I receive an email via GMail, and I check the website and can see the email waiting to be read. I look at the iPhone, and there is nothing. I click refresh to get it to connect from the server to check for new and it just says: "Connecting...".

If I reboot the phone or turn it off and then on again the email gets updated first thing. Now I normally never turn my phone off leave it on 24x7 and it just sits on the charging stand at night.

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas or possible fixes?

Tannex

Apr 25, 2008
I had the exact same problem. I did a restore and it seems to have fixed it for the most part. I still have it happen occasionally, but not as frequently.

ZeroG

Aug 19, 2007
I had the exact same problem. I did a restore and it seems to have fixed it for the most part. I still have it happen occasionally, but not as frequently.
Thanks for the info. I might have to do that once I get home from the office.

rmfnla

Bronze
A friend who still has a V.1 had the same problem when he updated to 2.0.

He deleted and reinstalled his chosen e-mail network and says it cleared up the problem completely.

ZeroG

Aug 19, 2007
A friend who still has a V.1 had the same problem.

He deleted and reinstalled his chosen e-mail network and says it cleared up the problem completely.
So basically delete each email account, and then readd them? Should you switch from Pop to iMap or does it not really matter?

rmfnla

Bronze
So basically delete each email account, and then readd them? Should you switch from Pop to iMap or does it not really matter?
He didn't mention making any changes.

He said when he re-added the account it repopulated everything about half-way through the process and it has worked perfectly since.

Easier than a full restore

ZeroG

Aug 19, 2007
He didn't mention making any changes.

He said when he re-added the account it repopulated everything about half-way through the process and it has worked perfectly since.

Easier than a full restore
Oh well, I did a complete restore and re-downloaded v2.0 from iTunes which took like five hours to download. The first couple of days were good and then again today it started. I had to turn the phone off and then back on to get it to pull mail from Gmail and Juno. I am not having a problem with the Me.com account.

I am thinking something changed with how other email accounts are handled with the addition of me.com Push and Fetch that is messing things up. I am not 100% sure ye, but it looks like it only effects accounts that are set up as "Fetch". As my Yahoo account is a "Push" and might be OK.

Any other ideas?

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
after i upgraded my V1 to 2.0 my email wouldn't work at all. I "reset network settings" on the iPhone and its been working fine since then

ZeroG

Aug 19, 2007
after i upgraded my V1 to 2.0 my email wouldn't work at all. I "reset network settings" on the iPhone and its been working fine since then
I'll give that I try, but I just noticed that the resetting actually reboots the phone, so that could be why the issue was resolved.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I had rebooted , done hard resets etc.. but my email didn't work until i did the reset network settings

ZeroG

Aug 19, 2007
Interesting...

I had rebooted , done hard resets etc.. but my email didn't work until i did the reset network settings
I am thinking that you issue was a little different. As my email normally works, I just notice that after a 24 hour period of leaving the phone on I need to reboot it in order for it to retrieve mail from other accounts that are not me.com.

It happened again this morning, I did notice at the bottom of the page the "Connecting..." message was displayed, but at the top near the "E" logo there was no rotating sprocket. After rebooting both the rotating sprocket at the top and the "Connecting" message at the bottom were displayed and the phone retrieved email as expected.

I think I am going to call Apple Care today and see if they know anything.