Email keeps coming back

passta

Aug 16, 2007
I have a PC, running Vista and Office 2007. I just updated my iPhone to 1.02 and since it was modded it did a full restore. When it cam back, my gmail account on my iPhone filled back up with messages that I deleted off the phone a week ago. They were not in Outlook, not on gmail.com, I can't figure out where they are coming from. In iTunes I only choose to synch my contacts from Outlook. Everything else is greyed out/not checked.

Any ideas?

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I have a PC, running Vista and Office 2007. I just updated my iPhone to 1.02 and since it was modded it did a full restore. When it cam back, my gmail account on my iPhone filled back up with messages that I deleted off the phone a week ago. They were not in Outlook, not on gmail.com, I can't figure out where they are coming from. In iTunes I only choose to synch my contacts from Outlook. Everything else is greyed out/not checked.

Any ideas?
They are coming from gmail. Go to gmail.com on your pc. Click on the setting link and then click Forwarding and POP.
Change the setting under pop download to 'from now on'. This will stop the old mails from flowing to your inbox on your iPhone.

passta

Aug 16, 2007
They are coming from gmail. Go to gmail.com on your pc. Click on the setting link and then click Forwarding and POP.
Change the setting under pop download to 'from now on'. This will stop the old mails from flowing to your inbox on your iPhone.

I tried that setting, they still keep coming back. The weird thing is I can't figure out from where, in gmail, i have zero messages anywhere, I am using 0 of my 3GB of space. In outlook, I have nothing as well, emptied deleted items and everything. I can delete and recreate my gmail account and everytime these messages return. I have deleted all backups and even removed/reinstalled iTunes.

Does the iPhone/Apple or something cache these messages somewhere else? when I recreate my acct I am manually doing it and not synching with iTunes at all.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
if its form a pop server you may want to log into it directly though the web... like gmail or aol... just go to the website and log in... and make sure you set your setting to not leave one on the server

Jun 29, 2009
June 2009 - iPhone 3.0 firmware - Email is like groundhog day

I travel a bit for my job; usually within a 100 mile radius. Regardless, even within a 20 mile radius this issue persists.

I'll read my Gmail or Yahoo mail, delete it (including sent folder), purge the deleted items folder. However, the same emails reappear ... sometimes hours or even days later ... after entering a different area than I was when the emails were first deleted and purged.

After speaking with AT&T, they confessed that their DNS servers often fail to synchronize with each other at all or in a timely manner.

This revelation seemed to be the exact reason I was unable to browse to a specific website while in location A but not from location B (30 miles apart). AT&T had to manually force the location B DNS servers to sync. Additionally, AT&T stated that EACH TOWER has its own DNS server.

If this is the case, many others should be experiencing similar issues.

Tags: June 2009 Email keeps returning returns coming comes back after being deleted deleting Outlook iPhone webmail

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I travel a bit for my job; usually within a 100 mile radius. Regardless, even within a 20 mile radius this issue persists.

I'll read my Gmail or Yahoo mail, delete it (including sent folder), purge the deleted items folder. However, the same emails reappear ... sometimes hours or even days later ... after entering a different area than I was when the emails were first deleted and purged.

After speaking with AT&T, they confessed that their DNS servers often fail to synchronize with each other at all or in a timely manner.

This revelation seemed to be the exact reason I was unable to browse to a specific website while in location A but not from location B (30 miles apart). AT&T had to manually force the location B DNS servers to sync. Additionally, AT&T stated that EACH TOWER has its own DNS server.

If this is the case, many others should be experiencing similar issues.

Tags: June 2009 Email keeps returning returns coming comes back after being deleted deleting Outlook iPhone webmail
interesting...very interesting