Email Notification Silence at night?

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
My iPhone checks the mail as per the frequency in the settings. But at night, I click the vibrate button to silence the phone. Does the phone still emit a vibration if new mail comes in during the night?

I keep the phone by my bed at night. Just do not want it waking me up cause a new email came in.

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
yes it does. i cant say my phone vibrating has ever woken me up though.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
My phone does not vibrate as long as I've turned settings>sounds>silent vibrate to the off position.

And when I've forgotten, I *have* been woken up by it. Doesn't seem loud during the day, but everything is amplified by the silence of a dark night.

alterna

Aug 1, 2008
Chicago, IL
as kisstine said, you can switch the silent option to without vibration.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
So when I move the actual selector on the side of the phone...it will silence all sounds? IE phone ringing, email alert, calendar alert?

Is there a way to program that?

I would like emails/sms/etc to be silenced at night (no emergencies at night), but have the phone ring (yes, wake me up) as getting a call in the middle of the night is more often than not an emergency and I want someone to be able to get through. I do not need to know that an email with a my bank balance or new products has arrived.

Thanks.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
If you go to settings>sounds you can toggle on/off various alerts.

Turning the volume off using the silence switch on the side of the phone will turn off all sounds, but vibrate will remain active unless you go toggle it off in the settings.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
If the vibration wakes you up, turn it off. I have MobileMe email, which is push, so I get several emails a night, and my phone is kept beside my bed. I silence it, but I don't turn off the vibrate, and I always have new emails in the morning - so the vibrate doesn't wake me up. It just depends on how deeply you sleep.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I have also found the iPhone vibrate is really quiet, unless its on a wooden surface. Just leave it on a carpet or rug and you will be fine!