Email - one area that seriously needs improvement

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
This has probably been covered before, but I didn't see it in a quick search.

I am a heavy email user, maybe 100-200 messages a day. I don't often need to read them on my iPhone, but they all forward there from both my home and work systems in case I am away long enough that I might have to use it to respond.

I am using comcast as the ISP - so no push. I created special email account dedicated only to my iPhone - no other machine accesses this account. My other email accounts all forward their mail to the iPhone account. This method prevents (most of the time) the iPhone from being locked out of the account when it fetches. I say most of the time because sometimes despite being the only machine that logs onto that account it still says "locked by another user".

Anyway, if the unread messages get into the >75 area, it is really tough to delete them! Not only is it a pain to have to swipe - delete - swipe - delete so many times, or to read one and then press the trash can icon 75 times... (why no highlight a range and delete - or at least "delete all"?), but sometimes the phone is too busy processing this to react to user input. So instead of "swipe" it sees "select" and you're reading the message instead of deleting it. Or sometimes you swipe, the delete button appears - but then when you press the delete button it disappears without deleting the message!

Even worse, sometimes after you've deleted a bunch of messages they start re-appearing again! Last night I had almost 200 messages in the inbox and I had to delete some groups of them at least 4 times each! The only way to avoid this seems to be to keep up - never let the inbox get more than 40 messages or so.

There's no way to tell the phone to silence email alerts between certain times of the day, so I have to turn off email alerts at night. Sometimes I forget to turn it back on the next morning - and the messages stack up. Thus I find myself getting into this annoying state more often than I'd like. It is spoiling an otherwise excellent user experience with this device.

Today the email app crashed twice while I was deleting things. At least when I re-opened it it knew where I had left off, so this was only a minor irritant.

Has anyone else observed similar mail behavior (misinterpreting input, ignoring input, reloading deleted messages into the inbox)? Am I doing something wrong or is this just the nature of the beast? If it is I hope they improve the email app soon.

Maybe there's a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do - through some other email provider or ?

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Get yourself a GMail account.

You can manage all of your other email accounts through it (both send and receive) and then use the GMail web app, which will allow you to check several emails and then delete all at once.

I have 7 email accounts and run them all through GMail. I rarely use the native mail app as the GMail mobile web app is great for heavy users.

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
Wow, this may all be moot given the "full push of email/calendar/contacts from MS Exchange in the next firmware release" that was just promised at the SDK event.

Apparently some "big fish" have been PO'ed about the email too.

kackac

Jan 1, 2008
I currently have an AOL email account, as well as a school account through Gaggle.net. I just created a gmail account, as I want to be able to have both accounts receive mail in the same place. How do I set up fmail to do this? Some help would br greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Just go to GMail/Settings/Accounts and add the accounts you want to use.

All email will then appear on your iPhone.