Email options to conserve battery?

arlan

Bronze
Jan 10, 2008
okay, so like, i need to have my EMAIL thing stop checking for new email every so often.

just to conserve battery..

are there options doing that?

i use yahoo :D

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, turn off push email for your Yahoo account (in the iPhone's mail settings) and then set it to only check manually.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
no but what you could do is go into setting and keep your account turned off. then when you need to check for mail go back into settings and turn your account back on and then check for mail. i would get very annoyed by this process but thats the only think i can think of that would help you. you must use your phone non-stop if you are that desperate for tiny bit of extra battery life you would get from having your mail app not check for mail as often.
EDIT: well psylichons method seems much easier than mine, never played around with my setting enough to know that all those settings exist lol

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
What are you guys talking about? Am I missing the point here? It's easy to turn off automatic mail checking.

Or wost case scenario, use Bossprefs to turn off the edge and wifi antennae... you won't have any problems then.

But really, why not just turn off auto check in settings?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
arlan - I'd suggest in future you should come up with *much* better post titles if you want help.

Right now, while it's super quiet, you got a pretty quick answer - but when the forum is busier it is really unhelpful to use over the top, melodramatic and vague post titles when seeking help. Try saying 'Help with Mail Settings' or anything that gives a hint about what your actual issue is.

I hate the thought that when things are busier, there will be tons of posts with similarly vague titles ...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
That is a very good point. If the OP truly feels near death due to this issue, they have more and bigger issues than we can really address in this forum.

arlan

Bronze
Jan 10, 2008
Yeah, turn off push email for your Yahoo account (in the iPhone's mail settings) and then set it to only check manually.
i can't find that option in my settings. :(

arlan

Bronze
Jan 10, 2008
It should be under Settings / Mail / Autocheck - set it to 'Manually'
there is no autocheck..here ill show u what's under mail..

Accounts
asldfjalsdf_j@yahoo.com >
Add Account... >

Preview 5 Lines >
Minimum Font Size Medium >
Show To/Cc label [off]
Ask Before deleting [off]

Sending
Always Bcc myself [off]
Signature Sent to my iPhone >
Default Account asldfjalsdf_j@yah... >

THAT'S all it's showing.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Have you gone into Yahoo mail at top of that screen and under Advanced set Use Push Email to Off ? I added my Yahoo account and once I set that to Off, I defintely see the Autocheck setting

arlan

Bronze
Jan 10, 2008
Have you gone into Yahoo mail at top of that screen and under Advanced set Use Push Email to Off ? I added my Yahoo account and once I set that to Off, I defintely see the Autocheck setting

Okay i got to ADVANCED and it says PUSH MAIL i turned it OFF.

but i can't find that AUTOCHECK setting.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Okay i got to ADVANCED and it says PUSH MAIL i turned it OFF.

but i can't find that AUTOCHECK setting.
That's really odd. Do you only have a Yahoo account setup? If so, maybe setup a dummy Gmail account - even if it is not a real one. Do that and see if afterwards that setting appears under mail settings - as it should by default ...