Email over Edge always?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I connect Wifi at home and Edge at work (usually... sometimes, I latch onto a weak Wifi there). I work at a recording studio, so I notice cellular data communications as the radio waves they use get picked up audibly on the amplifiers and speakers. I cannot hear anything when I'm surfing Wifi with Safari.

However, I've noticed that even when I'm connected Wifi, I still hear cellular data garbage on the speakers when I check my mail. Does the mail client always use Edge, even when you're connected to Wifi?

iFuNk

Bronze
Oct 25, 2007
I connect Wifi at home and Edge at work (usually... sometimes, I latch onto a weak Wifi there). I work at a recording studio, so I notice cellular data communications as the radio waves they use get picked up audibly on the amplifiers and speakers. I cannot hear anything when I'm surfing Wifi with Safari.

However, I've noticed that even when I'm connected Wifi, I still hear cellular data garbage on the speakers when I check my mail. Does the mail client always use Edge, even when you're connected to Wifi?
Thats a great question ... from what I see .. .when I have a message thats loading, the wifi signal pops up when in range ... this is just my observation .. maybe someone else can be of more assistance ...

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Even when on wi-fi the phone part of your iPhone still talks to the cell towers to let it know where you are so it can properly route calls to you.

Mail does not always use edge. You can shut edge off an still get email.