Email Question/Concern?

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
My email delivery has been pretty up and down since I have purchased my phone 2 weeks ago. I have a gmail account and a Cox.net account. What I can't figure out is my phone will be very good about delivering email and then all of a sudden it won't deliver email for 4-5 hours. When I get to my inbox for either account I get the "connecting" status at the bottom and it never connects. The only way I can get it to work is if I reboot my phone. I haven't figured out why the reboot allows me to connect to the email but it seems to fix the problem. Does anyone else have this problem/fix?

Thanks.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
My email delivery has been pretty up and down since I have purchased my phone 2 weeks ago. I have a gmail account and a Cox.net account. What I can't figure out is my phone will be very good about delivering email and then all of a sudden it won't deliver email for 4-5 hours. When I get to my inbox for either account I get the "connecting" status at the bottom and it never connects. The only way I can get it to work is if I reboot my phone. I haven't figured out why the reboot allows me to connect to the email but it seems to fix the problem. Does anyone else have this problem/fix?

Thanks.
A guy at my work who always comes to me with his iPhone question has the same exact problem. He has multiple email accounts on his phone and they just sit there "connecting" until he gets out of mail. He then has to reboot the phone, which at that point in time all his mail get updated, but only that one time. He told me he copied his settings from his old phone over to the iPhone and this problem. He restored it twice and nothing still.
The only thing that I could think of is that he go to Apple and tell them what is going that when he clicks update, it never updates.
This may not help you that much nut you aren't the only one out there with this problem so someone will be able to help you.
Good luck

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
Yeah, I may have to see Apple about it. Do you know what email accounts your friend uses out of curiosity?

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
He has one ATT, and about 4 or 5 different work emails. No gmail, or yahoo i know.

funkeruski

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I was having the same issue with my v1 when I upgraded to 2.0. I had to reset my phone, and then the emails would come through. I got my 3g a week or so ago, and my email seems to be working fine now, knock on wood.

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
well hopefully you won't have the same issue pop up but my problem is on a 3g.

srjeffery

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
i had the same problem for a week or so. had to reboot and it would work for awhile and then stop. for about the last week or so i've not had a single problem. i use both exchange and izymail. i did turn my push off, and changed fetch to hourly. i figured Apple was making chnages. good luck.

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
i had the same problem for a week or so. had to reboot and it would work for awhile and then stop. for about the last week or so i've not had a single problem. i use both exchange and izymail. i did turn my push off, and changed fetch to hourly. i figured Apple was making chnages. good luck.
hmmm, i never thought to try it with push off, maybe that is the difference. I'll give that a try. Not really sure why they have "push" when it really isn't true push?

srjeffery

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
i haven't paid really close attention, and although i have pushed turned off i still seem to get my exchange mail real time. i know i hear the notifications more frequently than an hour. something has changed though because i was restarting a couple of times a day and now never.

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
well, I am not on exchange just gmail and cox but I still have the problem intermittently? I'll see how it goes with push turned off.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Try connecting over wifi and see if you have the same issue.

If it connects instantly over wifi, I think it may mean it's a 3G network problem and not a problem with your phone.

I'll get 'hangs' every now and then, and a popup that says I can't connect to my mail server. This only happens over the cellular network and goes away after a while.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
I have the same problem too. I have a yahoo account & two verizon accounts. My verizon accounts are the ones I have the most trouble with. I get that annoying message that pops up that says my "username or password is incorrect". Sometimes turning it off then back on will help other times I have to re-enter the password. I have my fetch turned off. I'm on v1 2.0.1 Still haven't figured out the causes this annoying problem. Its sporadic though.

nbdiver

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
Try connecting over wifi and see if you have the same issue.

If it connects instantly over wifi, I think it may mean it's a 3G network problem and not a problem with your phone.

I'll get 'hangs' every now and then, and a popup that says I can't connect to my mail server. This only happens over the cellular network and goes away after a while.
I disabled 3g for now and it was working a little better but not always. I can use wifi to receive but I can't use it to send emails with my cox account so I have avoided that route. I will try it anyway just for the receiving purposes. Thanks.

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
Just saw this thread. I have the exact same problem, I am down to only using one charter account. It setup and worked great for a week. Same problem, hangs on connecting. Called ATT, the guy had me delete the account then reset network settings then resetup email account. Work great for 3 days. Now I am back to the same thing.
This is getting old...
Tg

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
It could just be the mail server. v1 iPhones had this problem when Google first offered IMAP. Some people still have sporadic problems with it. It may just fix itself over time...Mark

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Have you tried deleting the account, doing a hard reset (Holding home & Sleep button until the screen turns off)? After that, restart the phone, then reconfigure the mail account...Mark

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
Yes, the first time I called att, they had me delete the account, reset network settings then set the account back up. I just talked to att again, the support person told me that they are having a ton of calls on this issue and they do not have a answer/fix for this problem. I reset the network settings and it will probably be good for a few days.
I agree it may be a problem that will eventually get fixed either through charter or Apple. It is just a nusiance...
Tg