Email question from a prospective buyer :)

Oct 28, 2008
Well I currently use the BB Curve and happy with it, to a point. I know I will sacrifice a few things to move but gain others, the #1 thing I need to know is email. As a sysadmin, the BB is amazing for email as they have their server poll the IMAP server, and based on filters either send or not. Based on those I can play ring tones (like alarms for server crashed, etc.)

My co-worker has an iPhone and says no you can't, but I am sure someone has written something like that or is there a different email client out there? I just need to know if I am home sleeping and something crashes, I will get some type of alert email which I don't think is a lot to ask? He said it has to do with apps don't run in the background, etc. so is he right? If so, I can't make that purchase :(

Tnx

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
I think you might be out of luck. There might be something like that if you jailbreak, but i have no idea (im not jailbroken). sorry

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
There are no filters in the Email application, but you do get pushed emails from MS Exchange or a few other providers (Google and Yahoo IIRC). It is "Blackberry-like" in that regard.

rmfnla

Bronze
None of that matters.

One does not move up to an iPhone for features; one does so because it's the cool phone and one might finally be ready for it.

Judging from your posting, however, it appears that you are not.

Too bad.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the iPhone has unique features. We just take them for granted... After a while, all people focus on is the stuff we don't have.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
None of that matters.

One does not move up to an iPhone for features; one does so because it's the cool phone and one might finally be ready for it.

Judging from your posting, however, it appears that you are not.

Too bad.
Apple Elitism at it's worst.
Lets not be an iDick and help him out, shall we?

Could be a joke, but I could care less.

shawndre

Sep 16, 2007
hey if you got mobileme you would be notified instantly of your emails

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
The iPhone is an exceptional media device that does just enough to be usable for work. Anything more and you need to look elsewhere.