email question - Lotus Notes

hector49

Aug 21, 2008
my work uses lotus notes - does this work on the iPhone and is there anything special my it guy needs to do to make this work.
someone else was told it won't work because we have a blackberry server, but can't we just access the mail server through imap or pop?
thoughts are appreciated.
how do others get their email?
thanks

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
i also have lotus notes at work, this is something i have wondered about but never really thought to ask

hector, can you access your work e-mail from your home computer? if so, do u need lotus notes there as well or is there another way?

hector49

Aug 21, 2008
I can access email from home through web mail - but it doesn't work nicely on the ipod touch - this is what I am testing with - I am trying to get this to work on the iPhone so work pays for my data package.
There is info from the Apple site that says this will work, but my it guys keep saying it won't - trying to force them.

i also have lotus notes at work, this is something i have wondered about but never really thought to ask

hector, can you access your work e-mail from your home computer? if so, do u need lotus notes there as well or is there another way?

ggersch

Jul 28, 2008
At this time there is no built-in access to Notes like there is for Exchange. There is a rumored project at IBM/Lotus for iPhone access to Notes, but apparently it's suffered setbacks.

IF your Notes servers are accessible via POP or IMAP, you could access them that way. Notes is a great IMAP server, but it's rarely set up. Most corporations are limited to the Notes client, webmail, and Blackberry servers. The webmail client doesn't work well on the iPhone because it's very java heavy.

Talk to your IT guys and see if they allow access via IMAP, or possibly POP.

Oh, and that's email only. Forget about calendar or contact sync.

tjd

Aug 10, 2008
iNotes Ultralight - you need DWA (Domino Web Access) and Notes 8.5 beta template. I run notes on my iPhone. google it, you will find some pics on the web.

ggersch

Jul 28, 2008
Well dang. I guess they are at least publicly talking about it again:
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/lotus/products/domino-web-access/ultralite/

Still not technically a shipping product. And it's unclear if this just a custom iphone-friendly web interface, or it's truly syncing. Since it's iNotes/DWA based, it's probably not syncing.

At least there's hope.

But considering my work is just getting around to upgrading from 6.5.1, circa 2001, I'm not holding my breath. And most Fortune 500 companies are in the same mold.

hector49

Aug 21, 2008
how are you running notes now - i spoke with ibm and they are saying the product is ready, but Apple has to make it available and so far is not.
are you going throuh imap or pop to access your notes, or does the 8.5 beta version allow you to access it? from the looks of the beta version, this would be for my computer, not the iPhone, so would I have to upgrade my version of notes? not sure if the company will do that or not.
any info on how you are getting this to work now would be great.
thanks

iNotes Ultralight - you need DWA (Domino Web Access) and Notes 8.5 beta template. I run notes on my iPhone. google it, you will find some pics on the web.