Email Question

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
I am a new iPhone user (previously a Treo and BB user) and I just set up my first email account on the iPhone. I used a gmail address, that I use for important alerts.

I prefer to delete them off of my phone as soon as I read them... but I want them to persist on the gmail server. So far, it seems that whenever I delete them off of my phone, the are gone from gmail as well.

I also do not want my phone polling and prefer push email... which leads to my questions:

1) Can I delete gmail messages on my BB without them disappearing from my gmail server?

2) Can I set up more than one email account... with audible alerts for some... and quiet operation for others?

3) I assume that if I get a moble me account... and have google forward my alerts to moble me... then when I delete them off of mobile me, they will still be in gmail... which is my primary objective. Plus... I would get push mail.

/Jim

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I'll take on #1 - it sounds like you've set up your Gmail account as an IMAP account. Every time you delete a message or change something, it syncs that activity back to the server so that every other device used to check the account will show the same thing. You'll need to go into the Gmail settings through the web on your computer and change your account to a POP one. This will stop the behavior you're observing - messages deleted on your iPhone will remain in your inbox and will still appear when you check your account through another device/computer.

May as well go for #2 as well - you can only turn on email notification sounds for all accounts or none at all under the Settings/Sounds menu.

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
Thank you macgirl

/Jim

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I prefer to delete them off of my phone as soon as I read them... but I want them to persist on the gmail server. So far, it seems that whenever I delete them off of my phone, the are gone from gmail as well.

/Jim
Jim,
it seems you set up your Gmail account using the "Gmail" template in the iPhone's mail app. There are two ways to set up Gmail--one is using the Gmail "wizard" when you click on "Gmail" for a new account setting, and another is a manual set up which I (and Google) prefer. With the latter setup, when you delete a message from the iPhone, it deletes it locally from the phone but it remains in your "All mail" folder--it archives it. See below links:

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77702
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77657

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
Jim,
it seems you set up your Gmail account using the "Gmail" template in the iPhone's mail app. There are two ways to set up Gmail--one is using the Gmail "wizard" when you click on "Gmail" for a new account setting, and another is a manual set up which I (and Google) prefer. With the latter setup, when you delete a message from the iPhone, it deletes it locally from the phone but it remains in your "All mail" folder--it archives it. See below links:

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77702
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77657
Thanks... That seemed to do the trick!

In the mean time, I purchased a mobile me family account. I have not decided how I am going to manage email on my iPhone yet. I might just go with the .me account, and then use google's filtering and forwarding feature to move alert messages that I want to see over to my .me account.

/Jim

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
Jim, whats the deal with the family Mobile Me account? My son is getting an ipod touch for Christmas and I know you can access email on the touch via wifi.

Can you share calendars and contacts or is just multiple @me.com addresses?

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
Jim, whats the deal with the family Mobile Me account? My son is getting an ipod touch for Christmas and I know you can access email on the touch via wifi.

Can you share calendars and contacts or is just multiple @me.com addresses?
I do not know anything about the iPod Touch capability... so I will offer the benefits for an iPhone instead:

For us... the key things are:

1) Real push email. You do not need the iPhone to periodically poll the server to check for mail. Instead, every time a new email arrives, the iPhone is proactively notified and the email gets delivered asap.

2) Over the air synchronization with outlook for calendar and contacts. If you add a meeting using the iPhone.. it immediately shows up in the outlook on the PC. Same if a new contact is added. Also... it works vice versa too... so if you add something to the PC... it syncs over to the iPod.

3) Fairly large "cloud disk"... so you can easily move or share large files as needed.

With a single user plan... you get all of the above (plus more) for a single user. With a family plan, you get 5 copies of the above. One account gets a total of 20GB (the same as an individual account). The other 4 get 5 GBs... which should be enough for most people.

You generally do not "share" a common calendar... and I am not sure if it is possible.

/Jim