Email "read"

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by missygal, Aug 13, 2014.

1. missygal

missygal Zealot
    Silver

Is there a setting so I get notified when an email has been read? Like iMessages...

Thanks

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

The setting would have to be set by the other person like iMessage. I wish this was possible.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The stock Mail app does not support read or return receipts, unfortunately—neither on iOS, nor on OS X!

If you follow that link in my previous paragraph, which will take you to a thread on the Apple Support communities, you will see that one user named "spiels" provided an answer that may be of use to you, but it is not exactly what you're looking for, as it will only work with Gmail or Outlook Mail. (He suggests the service called ContactMonkey). Also, sadly, this depends on you using Gmail on your on your desktop browser, and the browser has to be Chrome (it's a plug-in for the Chrome browser only)!

4. missygal

missygal Zealot
    Silver

Ok thank you!!

5. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just tested it and it does work, but there are a couple cons. The outgoing message isn't saved in your outbox and it only detects being read on mobile devices. You'll have no record of the email, it won't show you if the recipient reads it on their computer and it does let them know that it was sent with a tracking app, but otherwise it's pretty nice.

7. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

The pro version gets rid of that banner so the recipient doesn't know if it's tracked. Hopefully, the dev can work around the desktop issue. If the desktop mail client is enabled to automatically show images, it should work, shouldn't it? I guess you can Bcc it to yourself so you can have a copy.