Email setup won't work

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Hey guys, Im constantly learning new things like everyday on my iPhone. And even though i originally thought i wouldn't have any use for the Mail...im finding out i need it now.

It's pretty self explanatory, i use Hotmail so i create a new account: added my name, added the email address, password then hit save. The phone then tells me Cannot Get Mail The user name or password for "pop3.live.com" is incorrect.

What the hell is this? b/c thats not my email 1) and ive doublechecked that the email and password is correct.

Now when on the next screen it has my name, address description which is correct. Then where it says Incomming Mail Server it has Host name as pop3.live.com my email address and password.

Then for outgoing mail server is has smtp.live.com my email address and password.

Sum1 help me out here, and btw. Whats SSL and whats IMAP and POP?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well before we even get into all that, you should know that a free Hotmail account will not work with the iPhone. You do not get POP3 access with a free account... you must pay for the advanced account or whatever Microsoft calls it.

For this and many other reasons, most people make free Gmail accounts and use them on their iPhone, even if only to forward your Hotmail to.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
well that solves the problem so I I just setup the gmail account it will wrk? Another question I have is I use aim and my aol email address is also used to buy things from iTunes so why won't my aol email work when aol is one of the choices? Is is for the same reason u stated?

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
well that solves the problem so I I just setup the gmail account it will wrk? Another question I have is I use aim and my aol email address is also used to buy things from iTunes so why won't my aol email work when aol is one of the choices? Is is for the same reason u stated?
If you do choose to set up Gmail on the iPhone Google "set up Gmail on iPhone" first and use those instructions versus using the preset gmail account settings.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If you do choose to set up Gmail on the iPhone Google "set up Gmail on iPhone" first and use those instructions versus using the preset gmail account settings.

That was good advice before 1.1.4, but since then, the Gmail account template sets you up nicely for IMAP without manual tinkering. Just make sure you have IMAP set up at the Gmail website. Only additional thing you might want to configure is your IMAP folders location.