Email Survey From AT&T - Scary Implications...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
How many of you have gotten the scary email survey from one of ATT's marketing agencies, yet? In it they ask a painfully long series of questions regarding what we want from our data capable phones. It's long, but thorough. The scary part is a little over half way through the questionnaire, they start posing different billing scenarios for very specific data usage (eg. "how much would you pay for gps location/direction assistance service" and the follow up scenario regarding yearly/monthly/per use payments). This didn't make me feel very good about where our data plans may be headed in the future - more money for less versatility/availability. I checked the box at the bottom of EACH section saying I wouldn't consider paying for ANY of the services. I DID check interest in a LOT of the services they suggested, however. They need to get a clear picture that we customers want ease of use and TRULY unlimited data if that is what we are paying for. We won't accept data billing in the future that charges us "X" for gps, "Y" for access to news, "Z" for access to music/video, and "A" for access to community forums - yes, forums just like this one. That was, indeed, one of the subjects in the questionnaire.

Hopefully you all get this email and take the time to respond VERY carefuly. It'll affect our service in the future. Warning - it takes a full ten minutes or so to really read it carefuly and answer everything. Let's let ATT know that we want ALL the data service they can provide, but that it should be included BY DEFAULT in our existing "unlimited" data contracts...

Last edited by a moderator:

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
it may go up if we get 3G and GPS.... but the great thing about the iPhone is that Apple forced AT&T to keep the data at $20 a month rather than the $40 blackberry users have to pay .. and iPhone most likely use more data than do blackberry's. many of the AT&T employees were complaining to me about how the data should be $40 but Apple said no.

the highest it may go is $30, but i don't see it any higher.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
it may go up if we get 3G and GPS.... but the great thing about the iPhone is that Apple forced AT&T to keep the data at $20 a month rather than the $40 blackberry users have to pay .. and iPhone most likely use more data than do blackberry's. many of the AT&T employees were complaining to me about how the data should be $40 but Apple said no.

the highest it may go is $30, but i don't see it any higher.
With all due respect you are comparing Apples (pun intended) to oranges (I wanted so bad to say BBs).

Apple data plan is $20
BB Unlimited Personal is $30

You can add 1,500 SMS to either for $10.

I used to have a BB 8800 and paid $10/month for TeleNav with built-in (no pod) GPS. It rocked and I would pay that much for it again on any phone that could pull it off like the 8800 with native GPS.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
My big concern with this, and the way it read, is that it seems as though ATT may be considering some sort of very segmented data plan where you don't get "unlimited" access, but are forced to pay for what sites and online services they allow you access to.

This would potentially make the web totally unusable to people like us who (if you're like me) probably do close to 50% of your browsing mobile. That would be a thing of the past.

Maybe I'm just being an alarmist, but this survey didn't feel very good as a heavy cell data user...

Just be aware of it, and if you get it - PLEASE fill it out so that there is no question to ATT that we want all our data and have no interest in paying extra for any of it - especially segmenting it and only allowing controlled access.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
"The scary part is a little over half way through the questionnaire, they start posing different billing scenarios for very specific data usage (eg. "how much would you pay for gps location/direction assistance service" and the follow up scenario regarding yearly/monthly/per use payments). This didn't make me feel very good about where our data plans may be headed in the future - more money for less versatility/availability.
Anybody that has any doubts what Apple (and obviously their partner in this, AT&T) reasoning is behind controlling our iPhones re: Third Party Applications (aka, deliberately BRICKING non-compliant phones).....THERE YA GO!

You may say, "they only bricked un-locked phones", to which my response is "THIS TIME" :p

Last edited by a moderator: