Email via Google+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ledsteplin, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The new Google feature that allows a Google+ user to send you an email to your Gmail inbox, even if they don't have your Gmail address. ? I see problems with that, such as spammers. Here's how to disable the feature:

Go to Gmail in your web browser and log in to your account
    Click on the gear icon in the top right corner and then select “Settings”
    Under the “General” tab, scroll down until you find “Email via Google+”
    Click on the drop-down and select the option that best suits you — that’ll be “no one” if you don’t want anyone who doesn’t have your Gmail address already to send you messages
    Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click “Save Changes”

2. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

DONE ! The Google folks are playing with fire on stuff like this, giving one and all a toehold in the name of becoming 'Social Media‘ ..... One of the reasons I use GMail is that up until now, it could, if you chose, be fairly private by default ....With this type of protocol, it seems that action has to be taken if one wishes to remain in any way 'off the grid' .... So thanks for the heads up ! David

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Did you get the Google announcement on this in your mail? I did. I thought it crazy when I saw it. I got the disable info from one of my tech news sources in Pulse.

4. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

I did and felt the same way but have been so busy it really escaped me. I came up to Canada Tuesday night into the heart of the deep freeze and travel discombobulations and am only now settling in to my routine and will return to the tropics Monday. So it took a while for me to connect the dots between the email and your post, and with that, I went straight to the directions to disable the program. Yes, advertising dollars drive more stuff than we'd care to imagine, but I like to pick the time and place for these marketing encounters and always have been that way. I don't think I'm alone either .... David

5. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

They're trying to become as evil as Facebook. FB used to have an ability to fine tune the stuff you'd see from known "friends". They removed that so that if you didn't get to adjust all of those people, you've now lost your chance to fix it for any others who spew a bit too much or too often. <grrrr>

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You can do that on Facebook in Safari or mobile, just like it used to be in the app. You'll also find more options for FB Messages. Other, Spam etc.

7. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

OK, I just pulled out my laptop. I can't find how to "fine tune" the posts of others as I was able to do a few months ago. I had been able to restrict their posts to "important" or "life events", for example. Please share with me how you are doing that now.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Fine tune? I thought you meant remove them from your newsfeed and maybe put them on a different feed like "Your city" or "high school". I don't know what you mean by "fine tune". I don't use a puter for Facebook.

9. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

This is going way off topic but to conclude I'll just state my use case. I used the "fine tune" to tone down some the extreme political rantings in things shared by "friends".

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I understand. I didn't know one could do that. That option doesn't seem to be in the iOS app, which is what I use for Facebook. But I do go in Safari and remove some friends off my newsfeed for various reasons. Like those who play games and post every detail. I don't need to know when someone finds 2 eggs on FarmVille. LOL And, yes, there's the political nuts. Both sides.

11. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I really do feel like Google is slowly trying to take over the world. I've closed all parts of Google except for my GMail account. And that is primarily because I have a spare Android device and one virtually needs it to use the phone.

But, more and more I'm trying to stray away from Google's 'control'. I guess in a way, this is no different to what Microsoft was doing years ago...

12. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I have had the same feeling for awhile. Google is trying to monopolize over the other giants. This was apparent when they wanted to tap into the mobile market and now they want to have their own dedicated OS.